Welcome to Online Combat Battalion - Australian Tactical Gaming Group
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Moving a Steam game to a new SSD (using Steam)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

kru

kru

OCB Member

• OCB 1st Platoon
  • 16 posts

• Private
  • 1st Platoon - Active Member

This process used to be an arcane Windows trick to link folders between two physical drives.  These days however, Steam has the necessary functionality built in.

These steps will move a game from the default location (usually C: drive) across to a second drive you've installed (shown as R:\ drive in the example below).  Before following the instructions, ensure your new drive is installed and accessible to Windows as a new drive letter, and plenty of disk space available for the game(s) you're going to move across.

PART 1

post-12974-0-11635100-1555422843.png

1. Open Steam

2. From the main Steam menu, select Settings

3. In the Settings panel, select Downloads

4. Press the STEAM LIBRARY FOLDERS button

5. Press the ADD LIBRARY FOLDER button

6. Drop down the listbox at the top of the next dialog

7. Select the drive letter assigned to your new SSD

8. Press the NEW FOLDER... button

9. Type the name of the new folder that will store your Steam games in, on the SSD

10. Click OK

You should then see the new folder as an entry in the Steam Library Folders list.

PART 2

The next step will move Arma 3 files from your C: drive, to your new SSD...

post-12974-0-23005000-1555422862.png

1. Open Steam and select the LIBRARY tab

2. Right-click Arma 3 

3. Select Properties

4. Select the LOCAL FILES tab

5. Press the MOVE INSTALL FOLDER... button

6. Ensure the correct destination folder is selected, and press the MOVE FOLDER button.

Attached Files

• Attached File  move1.png   716.4400000000001KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  move2.png   454.99KB   0 downloads

• FEAR, Valour, Ozone and 1 other like this

Valour

Valour

Officer Commanding

• OCB BHQ
  • 9,184 posts

• Captain

You're a good man to have around Kru!  Thank you!

Ozone

Ozone

Forum Novice

• Guests
  • 124 posts

wow thats easy!!

• Valour likes this

Valour

Valour

Officer Commanding

• OCB BHQ
  • 9,184 posts

• Captain

Wow.   111gb partition on the new SSD, Arma is only 36gb, but says not enough room on new disk....

Properties on the Arma 3 folder does NOT count the Workshop items, which total 177GB!!!!!    think I have a mod addiction.....   Might need to lose a few.

Valour

Valour

Officer Commanding

• OCB BHQ
  • 9,184 posts

• Captain

Aaaannnd, my mods and Arma 3 directory are now only 90gb, steam still tells me there is not enough space on the new disk (there is 111gb)  So confused.

Steam tells me if I want to back up the Arma 3 game, the disk space required is only 320mb......   Doing my head in.

Valour

Valour

Officer Commanding

• OCB BHQ
  • 9,184 posts

• Captain

Ok, copied Arma 3 dir to SSD.  Uninstalled from C: drive.  Steam>Settings>Download folders.   Selected new folder on SSD.  Reinstalled Arma into SAME dir as I copied it to.  Instead of downloading it reports "discovering Arma 3 files".   Done.

Caution though for anyone thinking of doing it this was (the only way I could get it to work).   It does NOT copy your !WorkShop folder, so you will have to download all your workshop mods again.   Good thing I am getting 12mbps download at the moment.

kru

kru

OCB Member

• OCB 1st Platoon
  • 16 posts

• Private
I'll be curious what the final folder size ends up being. I know with downloads, extraction and copying it sometimes needs 2-3x the size of a mod in free disk space.

Silly Steam math. Probably a 32bit integer error. ;)

Valour

Valour

Officer Commanding

• OCB BHQ
  • 9,184 posts

• Captain

Finally achieved the move.  Can't put all my mods back though, there isn't enough room.  With the game and about half of the mods it used it took up 77GB, so steam lied to me!!! bitch!

kru

kru

OCB Member

• OCB 1st Platoon
  • 16 posts

• Private
https://www.ozbargai...search/node/SSD

FEAR

FEAR

OCB Member

• OCB Member
  • 927 posts

• Corporal
I'm not sure why Bis made the workshop folder hidden... I had to a complete reinstall and didn't backup my mods so had to re download them again.

Edited by FEAR, 27 April 2019 - 12:52 PM.