Welcome to Online Combat Battalion - Australian Tactical Gaming Group
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

New HDD - Need Advice

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Valour

Valour

Officer Commanding

• OCB BHQ
  • 9,184 posts

• Captain

I'm considering upgrading my HDD, as the 1TB one isn't cutting it, I need more space.

I was also thinking of an SSD to run the OS on to speed things up.   I know almost nothing about SSD and need some recommendations.  Do SSD have a special slot on motherboards?  Are they SATA?  If SATA, does that make them slower?

Wolf Mother

Wolf Mother

Machine Gunner - 1 Section

• OCB 1st Platoon
  • 19 posts

• Private
  • 1st Platoon - Active Member

heres some info on them as theirs different types 

• Valour likes this

Valour

Valour

Officer Commanding

• OCB BHQ
  • 9,184 posts

• Captain

Ok, I got only a couple of minutes into both vids.  That guy is SO fucking annoying!

• Wolf Mother likes this

Wolf Mother

Wolf Mother

Machine Gunner - 1 Section

• OCB 1st Platoon
  • 19 posts

• Private

most tech guys are 

Edited by Wolf Mother, 03 November 2018 - 09:34 AM.

• Valour likes this

red5

red5

Platoon Sergeant - 1st Platoon

• OCB BHQ
  • 139 posts

• Sergeant
  • 1st Platoon - Active Member, (PlanetSide 2 ), (Rising Storm Vietnam), (Day of Infamy)

My current setup I have a 500gb m.2 ssd which runs my OS and select software, I also have a dedicated 250 SSD for Select games such as Arma3 another 150 SSD for any important stuff and 6TB of HDDS for the rest of my crap lol

m.2 SSD connects straight to your motherboard (Fastest)
normal SSD depending on brand uses a normal SATA connection like your HDD but does not get bottle necked like a HDD since it has no moving parts. (Fast)

Other option to look at is a PCI SSD but they are really expensive compared to a m.2 SSD

Edited by red5, 03 November 2018 - 10:21 AM.

• FEAR and Valour like this

Ozone

Ozone

Forum Novice

• Guests
  • 124 posts

hope it helps

Edited by Ozone, 06 November 2018 - 08:03 AM.

• Valour likes this

GooseNeck

GooseNeck

OCB Member

• OCB 1st Platoon
  • 249 posts

• Corporal

SSD do have a x2 or more timer slot. Check your Mobo manual for them. Some older mobos only have 1 for SSD. Flawless and turn off the read/write cache in the bios. Reduces the life of it.