Welcome to Online Combat Battalion - Australian Tactical Gaming Group
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

AAR - Fury

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Valour

Valour

Officer Commanding

• OCB BHQ
  • 9,184 posts

• Captain

ATTENDEES:

Valour
Tromac

CraftyJoe

FEAR

Tyee
J Bomb
Gractus

Howie

WolfMother

NukeJockey

AFTER ACTION REPORT - OPERATION FURY

DEPLOYMENT:

HELO lift from MOB WINTERS to FOB NIXON was successful and was done so without any enemy contact.  The movement by foot was steady and long.  The plan was to ensure that the enemy was not aware of our presence, so an approach via foot was required.

Xray aircraft then returned to base to await further tasking.  Communications with air and artillery support were an issue due to the distance.  This was overcome by the HAMMER callsign relocating to NIXON and the air support remaining in a holding pattern about 5km from the target area.

f1.jpg

COMMENCEMENT OF TASK:

FOX 1 set up on a position above the enemy held area to observe enemy strength.  A large number of infantry and vehicles were observed in the area, and FOX 1 requested airstrikes on the enemy armour. 

TITAN expertly requested CAS on a series of targets using a nine liner, however there was a fault with lasing equipment which resulted in a missed target.   This was attempted again without success, so Zero Alpha directed Reaper to strike targets at will.

HAMMER also conducted an artillery fire mission to a limited extent with good effect on targets.

f2.jpg

ANA ASSAULT:

After hitting a number of enemy armoured targets, the ANA advised they were commencing their ground assault.  The ANA moved west from their FUP and moved into Ovallestan to attack the enemy.  Their assault was met with heavy resistance and their movement was halted 10 minutes into the attack.   

FOX MOVEMENT INTO ENEMY AREA:

FOX 1 commenced their move south west into the enemy area and they came into contact quickly.  Enemy armour and infantry littered the area and movement was slow and halted at times.  Under the direction of BN 2IC Tromac, FOX moved west through the town long the road that bordered the south edge.  A number of firefights then took place between BOJ forces and FOX 1.   These were dealt with successfully, with a small number of injuries to our forces.

f4.jpg

f5.jpg

f6.jpg

f7.jpg

f8.jpg

HVT LOCATION IDENTIFIED

Information was received that the main target of the operation, EL ISLAM was inside a mosque in the north western corner of the town. To reach this target, FOX had to move through the area, via a compound and over a bridge to reach the area.

This movement involved multiple skirmishes with the enemy and some friendly injuries.  Around this time, our Sabre element was shot down.

f9.jpg

f10.jpg

f11.jpg

f12.jpg

COMPOUND, BRIDGE AND MOSQUE

The element made their way through the compound to the western edge of the town.  This presented some challenges and resulted in casualties.  The element at one stage became separated with cross fire a real danger.  

f13.jpg

f14.jpg

f15.jpg

f16.jpg

f17.jpg

f18.jpg

After the compound was cleared, FOX 1 moved onto the road leading to the bridge.  As it turns out, the creek under the bridge was shallow and would have made a far safer crossing; however the element moved across the bridge with only one infantry contact engaged on the move.

Then the move through an open plaza and alley way lead the element to the mosque, where the target was eliminated.

DEBRIEF POINTS

• The commander's intent was for the deployed element to remain undetected prior to air strikes.  This resulted in a longer walk into the target area than anticipated, and with the heavy equipment loads, it was tough going.
  • Movement of the ground element was really well done into the town.  Nicely controlled by Tromac and the element stayed together and effectively dealt with the threats that presented along the road.
  • Covering of the road by the MG while the element moved was impressive, and the general covering of all arcs was solid.
  • The ground troops did get separated for a short time on the road when several friendlies were hit, but this was to facilitate casualty treatment.   There was also some separation in the compound towards the end of the road.  Just be mindful to remain together as much as possible.  You should be in visual contact with your section members at all times.  If someone needs to go out of sight to complete a task or move, the remainder of the section should remain in place until that task is completed.

GENERAL POINTS

• Overall a decent mission I thought.  A little slow to begin with, and the mission was probably a little too big considering the numbers.
  • Section Movement was done well.
  • Communication between the section members was very good.  Information being relayed constantly and threats called quickly.
  • Target indications were at times a little poor.   If you see a contact we need the RANGE (how far away is it?), and INDICATION (where is it, direction and a reference to an object) and TARGET (what the target is).  Giving a compass bearing is generally pointless unless you are all in the same vicinity and facing the same direction.   A bearing of 015 that you see a target at, may be 022 to another section member, just because they are not in the same spot.  Keep this in mind for next mission.
  • Entry to the mosque was well planned and executed, with the exception of another friendly entering via a side door, which resulted in a blue on blue.   I'll address building entries in training.

MISSION FLOW:

This was very much a Zeus mission.  Again I found I spent a little bit of time in Zeus, but not as much as previous missions.

LEADERSHIP:

Tromac did an excellent job of leading the element.   He took into account the tactical situation, formulated a plan and executed the plan.  The section overall did a great job in the mission.

HONOURABLE MENTIONS

• Tromac for his solid leadership of the section - I wouldn't expect anything less!  :)
  • Howie for remaining focussed and being very responsive to commands.   Well done.
  • The whole section did really well in this mission
Comments and mission feedback welcome as always.

• red5 likes this

FEAR

FEAR

OCB Member

• OCB Member
  • 927 posts

• Corporal
The mission was good fun, I really didn't mind the jog to the overwatch position.

Tromac did a good job leading. I would like to see Valour in the action more I think that would be more fun then Zeus and it would boost the numbers on the ground.

The radio mod for me is a bit of an issue, I couldn't hear people talk when in the helicopter, I felt like when standing next to people I would have to use the radio coms and I don't like to do that as I think is encumbered the channel.

Really enjoyed it can't wait for the next one.

Thanks to the efforts that go into this.

Edited by FEAR, 16 June 2018 - 07:05 PM.

• Valour likes this

kru

kru

OCB Member

• OCB 1st Platoon
  • 16 posts

• Private
  • 1st Platoon - Active Member
Thanks for the debrief detail: helps to learn more of the big picture. Definitely had fun in my first proper outing (even if I think I won the most injured award).

Getting separated in the compound was interesting in hindsight: to clear that particular compound as requested seemed to take much longer than the earlier building clearances. One of the houses inside seemed to serve as a nexus/gateway to different access corridors, hence getting isolated. An interesting design tactic.

Looking forward to upcoming MSO events.
  • Valour likes this