Briefing - Operation road warrior
MOD NOTE TO ALL TROOPS - RHS, CUP, TFR AND KUNDUZ MAP ONLY - NO OTHER MODS TO BE USED. (blastcore and JRHS are ok)
Most of the Kunduz province has been secured by an interim provincial government who have stepped in to prevent the BOJ from re-establishing themselves in the area after EL ISLAM and his forces moved to Sangin. The local Afghan forces have done a reasonable job in their security operations within the region.
The BOJ left the local civilians a parting gift, a series of anti personnel and anti tank mines on one of the main routes through the area between Chahar Dara and Tal Kar. This route runs north, south in the eastern part of the area. Locals are unable to use this route due to the mines, and the local forces to not have the expertise to clear the roads and make them safe. Local forces have identified the devices and marked the start and end of each stretch of road that has been mined.
Above picture showing markers placed to indicate the START of a mined area
Above picture showing markers placed to indicate the END of a mined area
The local Afghan military as reported that a small number of insurgents remain and they are continuing their attempts to place mines and IED's to disrupt the local population. Afghan forces have engaged and killed four insurgents in the last three weeks, however they believe more are present in the area.
OCB has established a FOB just south of Tal Gozar which is at the southern border of the province.
The terrain ranges from low flat meadows to small hills and some steep ridges near the eastern road, villages, ditches and light vegetation. There are dirt tracks and some sealed roads.
Intelligence reports indicate small groups of insurgent IED teams are still active in the area. They have limited resources, no vehicles but may be well stocked with small arms and basic military equipment. The enemy forces are not locals, and have not been seen wearing the traditional clothing associated with Afghans.
They are believed to be using a compound somewhere in the vicinity of Anbar Tappeh to manufacture IED's.
- Local Afghan Forces who conduct patrols of the area to disrupt enemy activity.
- OCB Engineer section (Clearance Team - Callsign Echo 1-0)
- OCB Support Company Pilots X 2 (Callsign Sabre 2-2)
To clear the mines and IED from the eastern road and locate and destroy the IED factory in the vicinity of Anbar Tappeh.
- OCB Section commanders will be tasked to deploy via APC from the FOB and then patrol the eastern road.
- Troops are to dismount when mine indicator signs are observed and commence clearing the devices. Devices are to be disarmed by Engineers if possible. If this is not possible, Explosive Experts are to use charges to detonate devices.
- APC Crew Commander and Driver are to remain in the APC's to provide support for the clearance team if required.
- Aviation element (Sabre 2-2) are to conduct aerial recon over the clearance team for the duration of the mission to provide information to them on any unexpected movements on the ground.
- Once the eastern road has been cleared, Echo 1-0 is then to move east to the vicinity of Anbar Tappeh to search for the IED factory.
- Sabre 2-2 is conduct high altitude recon of the Anbar Tappeh area and provide intelligence to the clearance team.
- Battalion HQ element will remain at the FOB to direct the operation.
- Mortar fire support to be called by request to Zero Alpha if required.
- Sabre 2-2 to avoid engaging ground targets unless requested by Echo 1-0.
ADMIN & LOG:
- Small arms and ammunition available at FOB.
- 3 x M113A3 APC to be used in the deployment
- 1 X M113A3 Medical is at the FOB if required
- 2 X 81mm Mortars are situated at FOB.
- 1 X AH6-M Little Bird at FOB for Sabre 2-2
- Sabre 2-2 CAPT Tromac (Pilot) & CPL Beatle Bug (Observer)
- Echo 1-0 Section Commander - CPL Mulesy
- Remainder of Echo 1-0 roles to be assigned by CPL Mulesy
COMMAND AND SIGNALS
- Element Commander Capt VALOUR is AO Commander for this deployment. Callsign Zero-Alpha.
- CLEARLY IDENTIFY ANY ENEMY FORCES BEFORE ENGAGING
- IF FIRED UPON RETURN FIRE