Jump to content

Welcome to Online Combat Battalion - Australian Tactical Gaming Group
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

[AAR] Op Support 1BCT Pt2

  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic




  • Banned
  • 1,306 posts

  • Guest



E: Altian Armed Forces and militia's had been pushed back beyond COP-1 during Sunday's operation (Part 1), however, many smaller AAF formations are still unacounted for in the forests behind our lines.


F: Call sign "Guardian" (an M6 Linebacker under command of Dash), with its escort, call sign "Shotgun" (A 3 man Humvee escort, lead by Ridgeheart), were on their way from the Foward Airfield to the newly established COP-1 when they were ambushed and the M6 was disabled. Cut off and surrounded, Guardian and Shotgun have dug in awaiting reinforcements/engineer support.


C: N/A


T: Altis north-east peninsula, on a dirt road through a forest.




"Bravo" (FRT/Command Team, lead by Xerxes) with it's attached engineers and "Charlie" (a Rifle team, lead by Piro) are to reinforce Guardian, repair it's damage, and escort it safely to COP-1.




1x X-Ray (Blackhawke, initially piloted by Boden)


1x Sabre (Little Bird, initially piloted by Lyndiman)


Shotgun teamleader can use Artillery Module.


1x Mk19 Humvee + 2 unarmed Humvee's at Airfield.


Command & Sig:


FRT & Air command under Bravo (Xerxes).


Warlord (Gelly) maintains operational control.




Insertion Phase:


Hastened by reports that Guardian (OBJ) and Shotgun were under heavy attack, a quick plan was put together to infill via X-Ray some 400-500 meters north-east of the OBJ, and push both Bravo and Charlie teams up in to observation positions before moving in to the OBJ.

Just prior to leaving, reports came in from Warlord that Shotgun had been overrun and were incapacitated. En route the LZ changed, with the pilot offering to infill us closer to the OBJ, this was approved with the instruction to break off and find a safer landing if the airframe took fire on approach.


On approach, the airframe took small arms fire, at this time the pilot began to make a landing and suffered a lag spike, resulting in the airframe being frozen in the air with a section of AAF below us riddling the airframe with fire. Both the pilot and at least one passenger were incapacitated by the fire and eventually crash landed.


Defense Phase:


On landing, both Bravo and Charlie teams dismounted and formed up all around security. The airframe and dismounts continued to take small arms fire from all directions and from varying ranges. After a brief exchange of fire, Charlie identified a gully/dry creek bed (ditch) to our West that formed the boarder of the western forest. Charlie called out and moved to cover. Bravo remained near the airframe, working on the casualties - all but the pilot could be saved. Smoke was deployed, but the enemy fire was still intense. Bravo collapsed back to Charlie in the ditch. Under heavy fire, we made several attempts to move but each time, a different member of each team would be wounded, halting any advance while the medic worked.


Eventually, I took 3 members of Bravo capable of moving and tried to break away south to out maneuver the enemy and attempt to take key terrain (a hill to our south, over looking our LZ). We pushed up the gully/re-entrant and continued to take fire as we moved. While pausing to wait for the remainder of Bravo to catch up, an enemy technical rolled up to our position, through the forest from the west, and gunned down all but one of my team members. After a short while, the remaining Bravo maneuver member was brought down by enemy small arms.


After respawning with a handful of other members, we reinserted via X-Ray (now flown by Dash, as Guardian had all been killed). With a ragtag group, we inserted at our originally intended LZ and made out way carefully back to the previous LZ and the infamous ditch to reinforce any remnants of Charlie.

At this time, the fate of Charlie, Guardian and Shotgun were all unknown. While crossing the open, we took fire from the treeline to our west near Charlie's old position, we used fire and movement to close on the enemy position, but in the process I was hit and remained unconscious for a time. I was revived by my now rejoined medic, and found Shotgun and Charlie had regrouped near my position.


Assault Phase:


With the OBJ directly west of us, Charlie and Bravo started advancing west in line. Shotgun moved to our southern flank and took the key high ground. The MK19 humvee had been brought in by Charlie's second wave and it remained in depth. We advanced through the forest until we hit an ASR that formed a berm and offered some cover. While cresting the berm, I observed a squad plus size AAF force on the parallel MSR, near the OBJ last known location. The AAF force immediately opened fire, and I called for Bravo to break contact, with the intent of using the ASR berm to cover us while flanked one of the teams around to the north or south. As I called for break contact, two Bravo members were incapacitated by enemy fire. I called Charlie to break contact, intending for them to flank while we managed casualties, but at that moment they also suffered two incapacitated members from fire.

At this time, Shotgun provided cover from their high ground while Bravo and Charlie managed wounded. The MK19 Humvee was brought forward to use the berm to cover their hull and suppress the AAF force over the other side.


Once Bravo and Charlie were again able to move, Charlie, with it's MK19 formed the center, with Shotgun supporting from the high ground on the left flank, and Bravo manauvered around the right flank. Using fire and movement, and the double envelopment of Charlie and Shotgun, and Bravo's flanking fire, we destroyed the AAF force near the OBJ. Bravo continued to sweep the OBJ area, now moving south. Shotgun begand to take contact from their south-west and Charlie moved to support.


Break Through Phase:


On locating the OBJ, Bravo moved in to begin repairs. Charlie moved, with their MK19, to a position near the OBJ covering south down the MSR, while Shotgun also moved to the south, blocking the MSR. Once the OBJ was repaired, the two engineers from Bravo filled the crew slots and the rat-tag platoon began to move again.


A small village to the south lay between us and COP-1. Shotgun moved ahead of the force and took fire from the village, and became pinned by enemy fire. Bravo moved to support, with the OBJ remaining in depth. Bravo moved up on Shotgun's left flank, deploying smoke and providing medical aid, while Charlie moved in from the north and suppressed the enemy. With the enemy suppressed, Bravo began to peal past the village and Shotgun moved behind us. The OBJ was moved up the hill on the east side of the village and in to cover. With COP-1 in sight, X-ray was requested to recon the remaining valley and the final stretch. With no enemy sighted, Shotgun pushed ahead to scout the valley, followed by the OBJ with Bravo on either flank and Charlie with their MK19 following in from the rear.


The OBJ, Bravo, Charlie and Shotgun reached COP-1, and the mission was completed.




Assets were not exploited.


   - Clear ROE was not established for Sabre.


   - Artillery was not used during engagements.


   - Vehicles (Humvees) were left at base during first wave.


Squad cohesion broke down after crash landing.


  - Tempo slowed due to casualties.


  - Entire squad's were forced to halt to revive one member.


Poorly planned LZ.


  - Smoke and HE artillery should have been used to screen landing.


  - Sabre should have been used to suppress likely enemy positions during landing.


  - Considering Shotgun/Guardian was in contact, enemy fire should have been anticipated and better planned for.


Artillery asset was lost when FO disconnected.




Deployment after landing.


  - Squads attempted to move, but were hindered by casualties and enemy fire.


  - Contingency should have been planned on chance of hot LZ.


Communications during contact.


  - Comms break down due to massive causalities could have been minimised by utilising SW radios.


First half of operation was entirely defensive, when FRT turned aggressive and began to take the fight to the enemy, the tables turned.




Fire and movement during Assault Phase and Break Through Phase was effective.


Use of flanking fire, double envelopment and maneuver during assault on OBJ area.

  • Krongas, EightySix, Hells and 3 others like this



    Forum Regular

  • General User
  • 633 posts

  • Guest

Pretty concise summary of what happen, as Charlie Lead, I don't really have anything to add.


  • Guests

Was there any reason we were using a scripted mortar, instead of an actual mortar? If we had been, we could have kept receiving indirect fire support even if the FO was shot.




  • General User
  • 37 posts

  • Guest
My compliment sandwich as Shotgun's life partner

+The bounce back after an early squad wipe was the catalyst to the group succeeding.

+Aggression and a drive to close with and over run hostile positions kept us from getting bogged down

-initial reinsertion could have been more focused (Took a bad hill/Dash and the Blackhawk)

+Solid comms and action on instruction from the reworked shotgun element kept the whole thing together and focused when we reconnected with Bravo

Good stuff.




  • Banned
  • 1,306 posts

  • Guest

Was there any reason we were using a scripted mortar, instead of an actual mortar? If we had been, we could have kept receiving indirect fire support even if the FO was shot.

It's up to the mission maker at the end of the day, who has to balance limited numbers across essential slots.


But like you, I also prefer an actual mortar.



    Forum Veteran

  • General User
  • 1,368 posts

  • Guest

Wow, this generated some good dialog, I think I'll keep with the "handover" of tactical control to smaller group commanders rather than the usual "Zero-Alpha will take care of everything" approach.


You'll notice I put the mission in Xerxes control when It came to assets and field command. Who will take up this position this friday night?




  • Banned
  • 1,306 posts

  • Guest

Very challenging mission, I miss stepped a lot, stumbled a few times, and rushed far too often, and there was a lot of room for improvement for myself - it seemed the perfect mission for an AAR, where mistakes were made, but we're able to reflect on them.

rather than writing up a report on a perfect mission, where little to no improvement would be needed.


While I spent a lot of time unconscious, or huddled in a ditch crying, I really enjoyed this mission on reflection. It really pushed us to try harder, adapt and overcome. It showed me a few of my weak points, and showed me the capabilities of our guys and team leaders.


The hard start just made the victory all that sweeter - clawing our way for every inch of ground against waves of enemy. Every step forward was it's own battle.


There's a lot to learn from that tac.

  • Muldoon likes this