Welcome to Online Combat Battalion - Australian Tactical Gaming Group
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Long Live Ace Insurgency! Tips & Tactics for Maximum Enjoyment of Both Sides

@ACE Insurgency insurgency arma3

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Captain Cranky

Captain Cranky

Newly Registered

• General User
  • 57 posts

The release of ACE3 brings the return of ACE Insurgency which I regard as the most fun you can have playing ARMA casually. I was thrilled to see ACE Insurgency with human OPFOR return to the OCB  pub server over the weekend, and would like to offer some suggestions to maximise everyone's enjoyment in these missions.

The following advice comes from too many thousands of hours playing Pogoman's and Swedge's insurgency missions in A2, as well as collaborating on strategy guides like Swedge's guide to sneaky bastardry in A2 ACE Insurgency.

See the Spolier for a Quick Intro to ARMA Insurgency for New Players - (Read if you're new to insurgency type missions)

Spoiler

The Role of Human OPFOR in ARMA Insurgency

(IMHO) the role of the OPFOR player is to do what AI cannot. It is not a simple TvT mission where  both sides meet head on and there is a chance for either side to win. Instead, your role is to make the conflict more immersive and interesting for BLUFOR by using guerrilla tactics to disrupt their assault.  Leave it to the AI to defend the territory and attempt to block BLUFOR's assault - the AI will lose, but that's the whole point of this game.

Your job is to flank, harass, and ambush BLUFOR  and exploit their mistakes in a way that makes them realise the need for proper discipline and tactics. This means shooting to suppress or wound, not to kill. A wounded BLUFOR halts their advance, consumes medical  resource, and depending on the settings will limit the effectiveness of the wounded player after treatment. 

On the other hand, if you play OPFOR to maximise your stats you are just going to alienate a bunch of BLUFOR players. Although poorly equipped, OPFOR players have the advantage of being able to gain superior situational awareness by teleporting, not to mention the ability to teleport out of a doomed OPFOR's character to continue fighting in the body of another. This really adds little value to BLUFOR's experience - if they wanted more difficult frontal  opposition they could simply turn up the AI accuracy. It also leads to BLUFOR disregarding ROE and shooting everything that moves, threat or not.

Some examples of good tactics for OPFOR that make everyone's game more enjoyable:

• Play to survive the fight. Stay in cover, always have a plan for retreat, avoid frontal assault.
  • Coordinate your actions with other OPFOR players
  • Thoughtfully exploit BLUFOR's tactical mistakes:
    • Soldier moves out of cover into the open - wound him. If his buddies throw smoke and/or suppress, let them go (or if safe to do so put suppressive fire over their heads). 
    • If his buddies move into the open to treat or retrieve  him without suppressing  or smoking, wound another one until they learn!  :wallbash:(my record is 8 wounded by this tactic...)
    • If BLUFOR leave vehicles unattended in the AO, consider booby-trapping them instead of stealing them.  (ACE explosives should let you plant an IED on the vehicle, or at least in close  proximity).
    • If  BLUFOR bunch up inside a compound or building, toss them a frag or fire  an RPG nearby (try to avoid killing them  though)
    • If BLUFOR fail to watch their flanks, sneak right up close  to them before engaging. This is about the only time for a suicide attack, or at least a dropped frag. The sudden sound of an insurgent screaming at you from behind as he drops a frag at your feet is a really good reminder to maintain good security at all times.
  • Be the mad bomber. (Explosives are one of the best parts of ACE). Find and plant IEDs, mines, etc whenever you can. (BLUFOR may be carrying charges to destroy the cache, or if  you find the cache first you may get some there). Use them to slow BLUFOR's advance  by scaring them (try not to kill them - e.g. command-detonate an explosive as they are approaching, not when they are all on top of it!). Of course, if they all  bunch up on top of a really obvious IED or ambush point,  they need to learn a lesson.  :devil:
  • If vehicle-borne IEDs are available, use them to get up close to BLUFOR who are holed  up in compounds without maintaining proper security. Run away before detonating. Alternately, wait until BLUFOR commandeer the ride and then blow it (provided that VBIED are detectable - the point is that BLUFOR should check before taking the vehicle). 
  • Keep them guessing - e.g. if  you can capture one of their rifles and flank them, wound one or two from behind with their own weapon. See how long it takes to realise that they have been flanked. (Remember to have an escape plan though).
  • If ambient vehicles are available, use them to create blockades and force BLUFOR through choke points where  you can lay an IED ambush, MG, or sniper
  • In civvy territory, stash your guns and webbing and just carry frags.  You will appear unarmed. Obey BLUFOR orders if they stop you, (or run away to avoid arrest) but if they let you get up close and you can make a clean escape, lob frags. Play to stay alive (and avoid arrest).
  • In civvy territory, go completely unarmed and spy on BLUFOR movements and report to other OPFOR players.

Most importantly, if you just want to pit your skill against other human players you're in the wrong place on an insurgency server. Go find a proper PvP or TvT  mission  somewhere.

Thanks for reading this far! I hope this is the beginning of a new era of ACE Insurgency in ARMA 3!

Edited by Captain Cranky, 18 May 2015 - 10:27 AM.

• Xerxes, DC338, Lyndiman and 1 other like this

Stryker

Stryker

Forum Novice

• General User
  • 178 posts

• Be the mad bomber. (Explosives are one of the best parts of ACE). Find and plant IEDs, mines, etc whenever you can. (BLUFOR may be carrying charges to destroy the cache, or if  you find the cache first you may get some there). Use them to slow BLUFOR's advance  by scaring them (try not to kill them - e.g. command-detonate an explosive as they are approaching, not when they are all on top of it!). Of course, if they all  bunch up on top of a really obvious IED or ambush point,  they need to learn a lesson.  :devil:

Just wanted to expand on this a bit. With the explosives don't just scatter them all the over the town just as a nuisance. When using explosives such as as AP or AT mines I try to mine the most obvious routes into a town.

Take this image for example:

http://images.akamai...2C5B2EB3FAF5E7/

This is the same town that Blufor started out attacking on Friday night I believe.

Marked are the mines I placed (several demo charges were placed but they were just to spook you.).

• B1 was an AP mine on the second floor of one of those ruined brick buildings. These buildings are frequently used by OCB as a sort Observation Point.
  • R1 and R2 were both AT Mines placed on the road to catch any overeager vehicles.
  • B2 and B3 were both AP mines set obvious breach points to the town.

This may seem like a bit of overkill but if you notice that is only on the approach you are most likely to come from. After you encountered the first several explosives I was hoping you might reconsider your breach point but unfortunately you didn't.

• Captain Cranky likes this

Xerxes

Xerxes

Retired

• Banned
  • 1,306 posts

All really good points, thanks guys!

Perhaps we should add some EOD slots in to the Insurgency missions we're working on ;)

• Boden and Captain Cranky like this

Tromac

Tromac

Forum Veteran

• General User
  • 3,502 posts

TL:DR ;)

• Knight likes this

Tromac

Tromac

Forum Veteran

• General User
  • 3,502 posts

Just kidding I did read it. Playing OPFOR is my forte. My missions on occasion would include a human OPFOR to add immersion so I'm in like Flynn!

Lyndiman

Lyndiman

• General User
  • 2,656 posts

TL/DR: If you kill me playing as opfor I will ban you.

• Knight likes this

Tromac

Tromac

Forum Veteran

• General User
  • 3,502 posts

I dare you to!

Captain Cranky

Captain Cranky

Newly Registered

• General User
  • 57 posts

To encourage use of explosives, could we perhaps modify the OPFOR loadouts to feature more explosives? I haven't done a thorough investigation, but right now it seems that only engineers have explosives, and they don't seem to have manual detonators (just timers). 

Alternately, perhaps place a couple of static caches of explosives on the map and mark them for OPFOR so players can more easily use explosives and will be less tempted to just blast away with their AKs...

• Tromac likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: @ACE Insurgency, insurgency, arma3