Welcome to Online Combat Battalion - Australian Tactical Gaming Group
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Fireforce - Soldiers of Misfortune [Xerxes]

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

bomber

bomber

Forum Novice

• General User
  • 100 posts

Since I enjoyed last night TAC immensely and I'm currently bored senseless at work here is a little recap from Deltas? (Piro's squad) point of view.

Task 1: Clear fishing villages
Our stick inserts North of the village and Piro sets us up on a T junction with 2 either side of the road. Limeburner and myself left side, Azer and Piro right side. We hold for further sticks to be ferried in. While waiting we see movement left to right 100m out but are unable to confirm civilian or armed in the jungle so hold our fire. We hear a Huey a little way off to the North approaching. Contact! All stick members open up into the shrub where enemy fire has been directed to our right side. "Piro?, Azer?". Damn both down. We smoke front and move to them, Limeburner covering I decide Azer (medic) gets the bandage, sorry Piro. We continue to have contact front. Xerxes' stick arrives in a nick of time and we relay our contact and downed men to him. He quickly brings forward his stick adds myself to his team temporarily, breaks off his medic to assist Piro and Azer with Limeburner providing protection. Pay back time!

Later that task Azer and I leaderless and down to two men moved toward gunfire, only to be opened up on by heavy rounds and 40mm. Azer calls break contact and we get to safety. Still damn sure it was blue on blue. ;) Good call Azer.

Task 2: Non-Event - setDamage1 nuked them all :)

Task 3: Defend the farms
Sticks insert and fan out along the top ridge looking down in to the plantation. Some sticks had no cover, others had good to moderate cover. The enemy attack and the sustained fire-fight that entails is awesome. We fall back. Sticks without cover soon sort it. "Piro?", "Piro?" Mmmm. Shortly after, Haydos calls his stick to break contact and since we were leaderless we follow hot on his tail. The rest is best displayed by Eighty's screenshot of sticks aligning the rooftops ready for action. How was that bombing run!

Extract time, Huey coming in and I hear Azer "Watch out Piro". I turn to see both of them prone, one near the skids and the other beneath the tail rotor... very funny.

Task 4: Tired, so have forgotten what it was... clear something
On insert Piro continues his fight with the Hueys, limeburner crashing to his death on an early jump and a hard landing making sure he was dead. We move to clear a town with Reddeths section. Done. Reddeth's stick gets called away to assist others. Little did I know what would transpire soon after.

Somehow we lost Piro, dead, not Piro's night. Azer and I once again without radio walk toward gunfire and link up with Eighty's squad. Contact breaks out about 300m away in a ravine and Eighty orders us to investigate. We come up on the slight high ground overlooking a rather open area and begin spraying contacts. Meanwhile Piro returns. The 40mm from the Huey goes in... fun! Sporadic contact over our left shoulder, sounds a little distant. Reddeth pops up alone on our six, carrying a team member, asking for a medic. Azer gets to work. Reddeth explains that he was inserted, found a body, picked it up. Humped approx a click through contact to our loc. Dunhill awakes "Reddeth",' you something or another' as I didn't catch it all in his gratification of Reddeth's achievement to keep him alive and not left out alone on a forgotten battlefield.

Great TAC Xerxes, enjoyed playing the older era. Bomber out.

Edited by bomber, 23 September 2014 - 05:17 PM.

• Xerxes, Dunhill, Storch and 2 others like this

Xerxes

Xerxes

Retired

• Banned
  • 1,306 posts

That was an awesome read Bomber! You've inspired me to write my own :D
  • bomber likes this

bomber

bomber

Forum Novice

• General User
  • 100 posts

That was an awesome read Bomber! You've inspired me to write my own :D

Do it.... :)

Knight

Knight

Retired

• General User
  • 1,422 posts

Fireforce part 2 - Piro dies. A lot.
  • Piro likes this

Dunhill

Dunhill

Forum Novice

• General User
  • 139 posts

My overly dramatic recollection of Reddeth saving my arse:

*Read in the overly dramatic voice of Clive Owen*

Whilst attacking our designated town from the south east, our squad lost Redd and Avi to enemy fire from our direct front. With no time to grieve for our fallen comrades, me and ShaunBro continued a two man frontal assault, and eliminated the enemies that has felled our compatriots. After locating what we believed to be the last sniper hiding under a hut, we proceeded north west to secure our bitterly won ground. Unfortunately a dense collection of bushes to our south west gave perfect concealment to the shadow rouges that gunned us down. I fell first, alive but wounded. ShaunBro rushed gallantly to my aid, but received a mortal would as he began to apply aid.

There I lay, immobile and afraid. The darkness crept in around me and the sound of distant gunfire was all I had to remind me of my fading conciousness. For nearly ten minuets I edged ever closer the the black abyss, and the inevitable humiliation of re-spawn.

Then from the edges of my vision, and the ShackTac HUD, came my salvation. A shadow appeared over me and began to reassure me, speaking those sweet words; “I've got you mate”. Without the proper knowledge to heal my gruesome wounds and low on supplies, I knew that Reddeth had a difficult decision to make. Abandonment or a lengthy and uncertain hike to a medical professional.

With little regard of his own safety, and uncertainty to the security of the path he would have to travel, Reddeth hoisted me upon his shoulders like Atlas holding up the world. For what seemed like an age he move wordlessly without complaint or falter to the last known location of a viable medic.

Time lost all meaning and my senses slipped away.

Then, like a child leaving the womb, light burst back into my eyes and I gained a sense of self once again. Around me I was surrounded by comrades and brothers, desperately trying to piece together my shattered form. Among them was an exhausted Reddeth, already throwing himself into future endeavours towards the effort to crush the hated enemy.

After the attentions of Azer, I recovered enough to become battle capable, if not battle ready. We gathered our wits, checked our weapons and march off once again into the bush.
  • Xerxes, DC338, Jazzakid and 4 others like this

Xerxes

Xerxes

Retired

• Banned
  • 1,306 posts

First day of Fireforce:

The call out siren broke up the parade, Intel coming in from HQ was that fishing villages in the banks of the Ruya river to the south were being raided by armed men. The report didn't specify, but we all knew it was ZANLA, and there would be civilian casualties.

As the sticks mustered and donned their webbing, we waited for direction from the troop commander. My stick, designated Fox-trot, was composed of Trooper Fullon, a Scottish volunteer who acted as my MAG gunner, LCPL Tema, a Canadian volunteer who was also a qualified medic and Trooper Muz, a new addition to the troop who we knew little of. On the direction from the troop commander DC, we boarded our G-Car transport choppers and we were away. Orders came in over the radio, we were to meet up with Delta and Echo at a T junction just 100 meters from a small river front village. Our chopper was last in the formation, and the pilot put us down on a dirt track a couple of hundred meters from the T junction. We deplaned and quickly assessed our situation, the bush to our left and right was dense and only gave a few meters of visibility, but the dirt track would lead us directly to our position. We moved in column to the T junctionnd as we approached we could see Delta off the side of the road. The road broke off to the right (west) and across a large clearing to the rover front and the village. When we reached Delta's position we realised they had taken casualties, their stick leader and medic had been wounded and the remaining two men were trying to cover and provide aid. I had my medic, Tema, move to provide aid, while I took their MAG gunner with me. We formed a sweep line and pushed through the edge of the tree line to the west. We had movement to our front, soon followed by incoming fire. It was inaccurate so we put down some fire of our own. With the enemy suppressed and Delta back to fighting strength, I moved Fox-trot on to the village. The village was deserted, so we took up a blocking position incase any terr's came back down the river.

After a few minutes, the order came in that Delta, Echo and Fox were to move North West to a small village some 400 meters up the river. The G-Cars had spotted activity and we were tasked with clearing it out. We quickly formed up a plan for the three sticks to make a B-line and move on the village in an extended sweep line, but as we prepared to move out, Delta came under fire from what was believed to be a lone shooter in the bush in the edge of the clearing. Not wanting to let the terr's in the North West village get away, I left Delta and Echo to hunt down the remaining threat while I rushed Fox-trot across to the next village.

The village was clear, so I called it in to DC. At that time, Echo reported they had reached a village to my North, so we picked up and moved to meet them. We were certain we were on the trail of the terr's, as they hadn't got past us, so they must have been moving up the river ahead of us. We reached the next village and Echo was no where to be seen. With a G-Car circling above us, we saw small arms coming from a village just a across the river, which was dried out forming a crossing. We repositioned and I spotted a terr with an RPG-7 taking aim at the G-Car, with a hasty target indication we brought fire upon the enemy and stopped him before he could get his shot off. Echo arrived to our rear, it appeared they had arrived at the wrong village. We continued to exchange fire with the enemy across the dried river. It wasn't long before the DC with his K-Kar arrived and rained down 20mm HE on the enemy position. I spotted what looked like legs from under one of the huts and directed fire onto it, bringing down another terr. By now I was full of fire and was preparing to make an assault across the open to clear out the hostile village, but was beaten to it by Charlie and Bravo who had made their way up the opposite side of the river. By now the remaining enemy were dead abd those who weren't were too far gone in to the bush for us to pursue. The G-Cars lifted us back to base for the next call out.

The next call out had us setting up to deter farm raids in the Nhuyonghue farming area. OP's had reported large terrorist troop movements to the North East.

The troop was spread out in an extended line, holding the top of a ridge that ran across a tree plantation. By now, my MAG gunner Fullon had been called away (had to leave early) so I was down to 3 men. Muz had taken up the MAG. While some of the other sticks had farm houses to provide them with cover, Fox was positioned on the extreme right of the troop, relatively out in the open. A few minutes passed, when the radio came to life with reports from Charlie that they were being over run in there position. Just then, I spotted movement to my front, about a hundred or so meters at the bottom of the slope where the plantation ended and the thick bush began. I counted atleast 6 terr's coming at us, I quickly relayed to the MAG gunner and we opened up from our elevated position. The stick to my left responded in kind. Moments later the Hawker Hunter bomber came in for a run and dropped 10 500lb bombs, all in a line across the tree line to our front. It appeared we had the enemy fixed, when all of a sudden I heard the sound of an AK to my right and I was pushed back and hit the ground as everything went black. Next thing I knew I was back at the Forward Airfield, I had taken an AK round that deflected off one of my magazines in my webbing, knocking me unconscious when I hit my head falling backwards. Muz was there too, he'd taken a graze from a bullet and was sent back on the same chopper as a precaution. The firefight was still well and truly going strong, so we were eager to get in to the fight, we rushed to the flight line and there were other reinforcements waiting for a chance to get back to the contact zone. A line of choppers was moving through the taxi way, stopping for a moment to load up troops then heading back off the the contact. The choppers seemed to be on a constant loop of incoming with casualties and outgoing with reinforcements. We loaded up and before we knew it we were back in the action. By now the DC had ordered the troop back from the ridge and in to the small farming town. I regrouped with Tema, and we held a position on the East side of the town, as the enemy continued to push up over the ridge. It was like a shooting gallery, as the enemy heads bopped up and down from left to right across our front. With another bomb run, we had crushed the enemy attack.

After another RTB, we were called out yet again! This time, reports came in of terrorist activity in 4 small villages on the Eastern edge of our area of operations. The villages were laid out in an inverted Y shape, with one on the North, the center, the South West corner and South East corner. Charlie and Bravo were to secure the Northern village. Delta and Echo would secure the South Western village and my team would secure the South Eastern, then all teams would converge on the final village in the center. As we left from base, Tema was called back for another task (had to leave), so it was just myself and Muz with the MAG, tasked to clear an entire village. This didn't put us off, in fact I was looking forward to it. DC, after learning that my team was under manned, left his K-Kar and joined up with my team to assist in my assault, and after landing in a clearing to the South, we made our way slowly to within visual range of the village. From about 100 meters away, we identified an armed man, standing on the decking of a hut and another man, who we could not tell if he was armed or not, was standing in the middle of the village. I pleaded with DC that we should simply drop some 500lb's on the village and be done with it, but he insisted we must avoid civilian casualties. I set up the MAG and gave him the command to start the engagement. A burst of the MAG and some SLR shots resulted in a spectacular spray of blood spouting from the terr's head as his body dropped. Unsure of the intentions of the second man, DC fire a warning shot and after we were certain it was safe, we moved up on to the village. We started clearing the huts one by one, and as I moved up on the hut with the balcony, I saw a figure inside. *BANG BANG* I let of a double tap from my SLR *CLICK* "FUCK!!" I though "my magazine is dry!" luckily, both rounds had hit the terr in the chest, and as I moved back to cover to reload, his body slumped over and fell to the floor.

Our village was clear, but there was still a lot of fire coming from the West. I raised a G-Car on the radio, and they informed us of contacts to the West. I used the smoke to mark my position and they were able to give us accurate directions on to the contacts. I came up on the area the contacts had been reported, and found two dead terr's at my feet in a clearing. Just then, yellow tracer ripped through the tree line to my North, coming from the other side where there was another clearing. I quickly got on the radio and advised the unknown call sign to check fire. I pushed myself and Muz up to the tree line to see if we could locate what the other call sign had been firing at...we couldn't see a thing. Then all of a sudden, a terr comes running through the bush towards us, no more than 20 meters away. I let off a few quick shots, but he was passing through the trees and I couldn't hit him. So I threw a grenade, it landed at his feet and as he passed over it it detonated. The bast hit him square in the back and sent him flying along his path and through the air a good 5 meters or so. We continued to follow the sounds of gun fire until we came across the South Western village, where I found Piro, with serious injuries to both his legs. I started to bandage his wounds, but the sound of gun fire to the North West was calling me, and in a rush to get in to the action, I left all my bandages with my wounded comrade and headed back out. We linked back up with the rest of the troop who was engaging contacts across the other side of a clearing. With a quick troop assault across the clearing, we killed the last remaining terr's.

The troop mustered for the extract back to base, and as the remainder of Echo team arrived I heard the tail of how Reddeth had carried a wounded Dunhil more than a kilometer across hostile territory to find medical aid. We RTB'd and had time for a quick photo before ending what was our first Fireforce.
  • DC338, Jazzakid, bomber and 2 others like this

Piro

Piro

Forum Regular

• General User
  • 633 posts

Fireforce part 2 - Piro dies. A lot.

I am best magnet.

Though this is the first tac in a while I died. But I died repeatedly.

DC338

DC338

Forum Regular

• General User
  • 893 posts

As the fire force commander it was difficult to get an idea of the ground as the map was the thing I was looking at most. Visibility was limited from the seat in the helicopter. I was also very difficult to run both the air and the ground side, trying to keep track of the helicopters in particular was difficult. I should have had more control measures in the first mission as I mistakenly thought it was just one village to clear.

With regards to the defend mission. If the ground I selected was unsuitable for defence. Too open without good cover or fields of fire that should have been relayed or stick leaders using own judgement should have moved themselves to better locations. I probably should have designated a ground commander for that mission.

Anyways I think the missions went ok, with some lessons learned. It was very busy.

bomber

bomber

Forum Novice

• General User
  • 100 posts

You went about Zero-Alpha very well DC. Don't read to much in to some of the stuff above. Stick commanders did move us from open terrain once it kicked off. How about a leadership strength: not once did our stick feel exposed or without support, either another stick was moving on our flanks or one was just arriving.

Xerxes

Xerxes

Retired

• Banned
  • 1,306 posts

Yep, from the ground, it felt like we constantly had either 0-A or a G-Car watching out for us. Also, considering the sheer amount of stuff going on, you managed to maintain control through out the mission. It looked pretty awesome seeing the bush light up with 40mm, when it did, you knew the K-Car was around.

Next time I will give air call signs a second radi and assign a squadron leader.