Welcome to Online Combat Battalion - Australian Tactical Gaming Group
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

[PEK] Supremacy TvT - AAR

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

PabloElKillo

PabloElKillo

Discharged

• General User
  • 220 posts

Well I think the poor civilian population of Rodopoli and their dogs were the big losers tonight.

Thanks to those who attended.

If I was to run it again in the future, I would probably look at taking out the jets as they were a bit OP. Also, I could easily change the location if needed.

Please leave feedback below on any other suggested changes.

Edited by PabloElKillo, 22 June 2014 - 11:30 PM.

PabloElKillo

PabloElKillo

Discharged

• General User
  • 220 posts

Also, I'll include a TFR radio box at spawn.

Knight

Knight

Retired

• General User
  • 1,422 posts

Follow your own instructions regarding attacking spawn areas.

PabloElKillo

PabloElKillo

Discharged

• General User
  • 220 posts

Follow your own instructions regarding attacking spawn areas.

Fair enough, that was my mistake. I thought you were well out of your base when I engaged.

Stryker

Stryker

Forum Novice

• General User
  • 178 posts

Edit: removed, may off been a bit harsh.

Edited by Stryker, 23 June 2014 - 12:43 AM.

Fozz

Fozz

Forum Novice

• Guests
  • 186 posts

Good mission mate - thanks for taking the time and effort to put it together.
Without mission makers there wouldn't be much for everyone else to do.

Ideas to consider...

Once I made it to the AO in the first game the effect of the aircraft was greatly reduced as I could use the buildings as cover.
In fact it added an extra dimension having them buzzing around the AO, and I couldn't help thinking... if I had AA that cocky A-10 would be toast.
The issue with them was that they kept mauling the vehicles on the way in, which resulted in difficulty getting infantry forces into town and therefore into contact with the enemy.

What if you gave everyone a respawn option?

1. Respawn at base if you want to grab vehicles/aircraft
2. Respawn on your platoon leader after a timed delay - maybe 2 mins (if he's in a good position in town for example). The time penalty allows the opfor to assault a position without people instantly respawning as reinforcements.
3. Have 2 or 3 respawn points within running distance (400-500m) of the town for each side - again with a respawn delay of some kind. Multiple points would make it more difficult for the aircraft or opfor to pinpoint your respawn.
4. Any combination of the above.

The result would be to get players closer to or within town faster as infantry.
It would also get your AA infantry in and around the town most of the time, keeping the aircraft under pressure and more careful about overflying the AO.

The added benefit would be that there would be a lot more infantry contact within the town, and more firefights.

Alternately, just adjust the ground forces base distance from the AO for a similar effect - more time in contact.
The aircraft could stay where they are - at airfields.

A secondary consideration is the information available on the map.
Without 3rd person view there was no way for infantry riding in the back of an enclosed vehicle to keep track of their position on the map.
At one point I ejected from within a vehicle just prior to it being destroyed by an A-10 missile, and found myself as the sole survivor out in the countryside somewhere with no idea where I was.

It took some running around and comparing features with those on the map to finally get oriented.
That could be streamlined - perhaps only friendly units appear on your map?
That would be realistic given GPS technology.

Just some thoughts - enjoyed the night.
  • Xerxes, PabloElKillo and bangbang like this

PabloElKillo

PabloElKillo

Discharged

• General User
  • 220 posts

What if you gave everyone a respawn option?

1. Respawn at base if you want to grab vehicles/aircraft
2. Respawn on your platoon leader after a timed delay - maybe 2 mins (if he's in a good position in town for example). The time penalty allows the opfor to assault a position without people instantly respawning as reinforcements.
3. Have 2 or 3 respawn points within running distance (400-500m) of the town for each side - again with a respawn delay of some kind. Multiple points would make it more difficult for the aircraft or opfor to pinpoint your respawn.
4. Any combination of the above.

Good idea. Can do.

A secondary consideration is the information available on the map.
Without 3rd person view there was no way for infantry riding in the back of an enclosed vehicle to keep track of their position on the map.
At one point I ejected from within a vehicle just prior to it being destroyed by an A-10 missile, and found myself as the sole survivor out in the countryside somewhere with no idea where I was.

It took some running around and comparing features with those on the map to finally get oriented.
That could be streamlined - perhaps only friendly units appear on your map?
That would be realistic given GPS technology.

Another good point. Easily fixed by giving everyone hand held GPS. Noted.

Xerxes

Xerxes

Retired

• Banned
  • 1,306 posts

I really like Fozz's ideas regarding respawns, in particular the option to spawn off of the platoon leader.

This makes the platoon leader a little more important, and means you have to keep him fairly close to the action.

Otherwise a great mission, I liked that the rounds didn't go for too long either.

The most fun was certainly when we all got into to town and started fighting up close with armour rolling around the streets and fast movers over top.

Magnet

Magnet

Forum Veteran

• General User
  • 1,530 posts

I think it should be possible to capture certain sectors outside the town which act as respawn points for the ground troops. This keeps the momentum of the battle up and you will have less troops raging that they were wiped out en-route to the battle area from the main base.

Also, maybe the mission could benefit from a system like Gun Game (I think) where when you spawn in you pick from a particular load out.

Mag.

Reddeth

Reddeth

Always Welcome

• General User
  • 677 posts

Had some good fun during this mission, so thanks for taking the effort to make it - blessed are the missions makers.

I like the respawn ideas listed above, but would prefer if a squad leader was alive in a certain zone then he would 'enable' the respawn for that area. EG: Squad leader alive inside city capture zone therefore the forward rally point located 750m outside the city becomes active. I would prefer that as opposed to respawning right on the squad leader who could be in the thick of the action which I think breaks immersion a lot. The respawn zone ideas also opens up some more levels of strategy. You might have two smaller capture zones to the north and south of the city which enable their own respawn points if a squad leader is inside the zone (kinda like camp respawn sites for those that have played Warfare in A2).

I liked the large version of the mission with all the vehicles but I think it would only really become cool if you had enough players to fill all the slots. Let each side have a jet, but make sure it was only one jet. Once that jet is gone its gone for the entire round.

For the smaller number games please make a more focussed infantry version with closer bases and a much more limited selection of vehicles. I had the best fun last night with the infantry battles inside the town,when the vehicles were a support act only.

Fozz

Fozz

Forum Novice

• Guests
  • 186 posts

Capturable respawn zones or sectors - good idea.

Another idea would be to take a time penalty the closer you wanted to respawn to town.

You choose...
1. Instant respawn at base
2. 1 min delay to respawn at the next zone - maybe 500m from town - provided you have a team mate at that, or a more advanced zone
3. 2 min delay to respawn at a town point - provided there was a member of your team in town or in that zone

PabloElKillo

PabloElKillo

Discharged

• General User
  • 220 posts

Thanks for all of the feedback.

I have:
  • removed the jets, attack helicopters, MBTs and AA IFVs to better suit our number of players (original post updated: http://ocb.net.au/bo...-pek-supremacy/)
  • added a TFR box at each side's spawn in case needed when re-organizing squads
  • added a GPS to all players inventory to assist with navigation
I'm still considering the re-spawn locations but the changes made so far should make a big difference.

If anyone is keen for another TvT night sometime, I'd be happy to run this updated version.
  • Xerxes likes this

PabloElKillo

PabloElKillo

Discharged

• General User
  • 220 posts

For the smaller number games please make a more focussed infantry version with closer bases and a much more limited selection of vehicles. I had the best fun last night with the infantry battles inside the town,when the vehicles were a support act only.

I have put together an infantry only version using a different, smaller area.
  • Xerxes likes this