Welcome to Online Combat Battalion - Australian Tactical Gaming Group
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Event: [OCB] Community Night - Patrol Ops 3 Tigeria 28/3/14 AAR

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Reddeth

Reddeth

Always Welcome

• General User
  • 677 posts

Quick AAR for a successful Community Night running Patrol Operations 3 from the perspective of Bravo Squad. We had 30 plus players at one time and some challenging tasks to compete...

Bravo was organised into two fire teams as follows:
Blue Team under Ridgeheart,with Hellfire?, Dollars and Hunter
Yellow Tea under Jazza, with Brandon, Jester and J_ace
Medic Mixologist attached to me or each fireteam as necessary.

Operation 1: Deliver Supply Crate to small village.
Bravo tasked with transporting the supply crate on a cargo truck with each fireteam manning a Victor each. Solid leadership from OA (Scabbie) and multiple friendly air assets backed up by Artillery (Gelly) ensured we took minimal casualties despite several enemy air attacks and a tank hidden on the flank. Great work by the squad MG gunners Hellfire and Jester.

Operation 2: Locate and destroy enemy transmission tower.
Bravo transported into AO by Chinook, first securing a hilltop village before descending on the main enemy encampment below us while covered by Charlie. A challenging mission then ensued as the enemy transmission tower (which was no bigger than a light pole) was hidden in DENSE jungle to the SW of the enemy encampment. Engagements with infantry and vehicles occurred several times at a distance of 5 metres or less. Mixologist saved many squad members wounded during such engagements. Both Jazza and Ridge performed well leading their fireteams n sweeps through the jungle. Fireteam Yellow eventually found the needle in the haystack and detonated it before I went KIA moving back to the Platoon. Ridge stepped up and took charge until my subsequent virtual reanimation and return to the AO with the resupply.

Operation 3: Patrol up a Jungle infested ridgeline and eliminate enemy position in Ruins on mountain top.
Some tasks are just a hard bloody slog, and this task was just such a test of endurance. Several squad members had to head off and they were replaced by CraftyJoe and Fusion. Mid last task OA was taken over by Xerxes after Scabbie's digital avatar disappeared within a sordid looking house of ill repute in a jungle village never to be seen again.
I apologise if I forget any other names that did a stint with us, not to mention a quick thankyou after some sterling support by medics like zPage and others from Alpha,etc.
We soldiered through a 1km patrol through the jungle, made super interesting by what appeared to be artillery delivered minelets to add some spice to the walk. Luckily Dollars decided to step on most of them, saving the rest of us from significant fragmentation wounds, even when I resorted to leading the squad single file though the danger zone. When we made it to the top of the Mountain a short and violent CQB battle ensued through the hilltop ruins with the squad managing to move forward well despite the situation.
After securing the hilltop each squad was then tasked to conduct clearing patrols around the lower slopes and some memorable firefights took place with enemy soldiers dressed in green uniforms doing their best to hide in the foliage. The squad exhausted our supply of 203 HE and frags taking out such hidden contacts by weight of fire and manoeuvre. We then assisted in the destruction of enemy heavy armour before completing the patrol and boarding Xray for the ride home after a hair raising mountain side extract by Davo and Dash. We all then made it back to base for some headbanging music and the obligatory mission complete cutscene.

I hope everyone that attended had blast as I know I had some great fun during the night. Congrats to everyone in Bravo squad for working well together and to the public players in my squad who listened to orders and worked as a team. Thankyou also to the mission maker and HQ staff for running the event.
  • Krongas, Xerxes, EightySix and 2 others like this

Jazzakid

Jazzakid

Forum Regular

• General User
  • 692 posts

i quite enjoyed running as FTL

Highway

Highway

Former Member

• General User
  • 607 posts

yeah it was good, with a good number of grunts and the ratio of support

ridgeheart

ridgeheart

Retired

• General User
  • 162 posts

A decent turnout. Pity the server couldn't keep the frames to people ratio 1:1.

Xerxes

Xerxes

Retired

• Banned
  • 1,306 posts

Thanks for the write up Reddeth!

Sustain:
- Breaking up the responsibilities of command across CO (Scabbie), CSM/XO (Xerxes) and JTAC (Z.Page) worked really well, it allowed information to flow quickly and the separate channel for air assets cleared up the company net. I think this is a good command structure when dealing with such large numbers, when you have one commander trying to micro manage an entire platoon plus combine arms support everything begins to bottle neck as it has to go through one person.

- Z.Page did an awesome job managing the CAS as JTAC and later arty as FO.

- Good to see guys without rank stepping up to fill leadership positions, especially Azer and Ridgeheart.

Fix:
- When stepping up as 0-A acting, I made quite a few mistakes. I'm quite comfortable leading a squad, or commanding a tank, but it's been a while since I lead a platoon. Luckily Z.Page provided support, much as I did for Scabbie when he was 0-A.
My comms were a problem, as I muddled up a few words or spoke too quickly or not clearly enough. However, with the excellent leadership of Bravo and Charlie teams, they were able to interpreter the orders and execute them.
Tactically, I think I had things under control, it was just the extra pressure made my comms suffer. This is a time I should have used an RTO to pass down orders so I could focus on the larger picture.

Stepping up to replace Scabbie isn't easy, he has some big boots to fill. I stole those boots and now they don't fit properly.
  • EightySix, John Rambo and Storch like this

Reddeth

Reddeth

Always Welcome

• General User
  • 677 posts

I think you did just fine Xercs, the odd little screwup happens, particularly under pressure.

Zpage was very good as JTAC. I was getting annoyed at the Arty for killing so much stuff before we could shoot at it.

Dividing up the senior leadership roles was definitely the way to go and worked well re air time.

Azer

Azer

Forum Novice

• General User
  • 248 posts

good solid missions, good leadership all round, enjoyed running my squad immensely.

Highway

Highway

Former Member

• General User
  • 607 posts

some raw footage from last night

http://www.twitch.tv..._au/b/514973228
  • Reddeth likes this