Welcome to Online Combat Battalion - Australian Tactical Gaming Group
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The Campaign? Yep Arma 3 came with the goods

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Tophatter

Tophatter

Newly Registered

• General User
  • 91 posts

Might be old news for some but I'm freakin enjoying the new campaign. Probably the best campaign of the series, on par with OFP seriously.

They've made Stratis into a totally immersive and hostile environment. I wanna keep playing missions over again ha.

Speed of Sound mod coupled with some wicked mods and I'm close to losing the girlfriend.... Almost.
  • Tromac, Xerxes and Coder like this

Coder

Coder

Forum Novice

• General User
  • 246 posts

Pretty keen to give the campaign a run through :)

Xerxes

Xerxes

Retired

• Banned
  • 1,306 posts

Yeah I'm loving it too, it's good to see all the units, factions and locations put into some kind of perspective.

The voice acting and the writing are worthy of any AAA game.
EDIT: I just noticed the music is kick ass too!

GunnerExurkun

GunnerExurkun

Newly Registered

• General User
  • 27 posts
Can someone please delete my post above I missed how you had to expand it. FACEPALM.

Edited by GunnerExurkun, 01 November 2013 - 03:36 PM.

Magnet

Magnet

Forum Veteran

• General User
  • 1,530 posts

After the above reviews I was expecting it to be tops.

I'm really not enjoying it though, doesn't capture me near as much as the original OFP campaigns.

Things that stick out like a sore thumb for me;

- Voice dialogue doesn't work properly with surround sound (atleast mine anyway)
- Breaks between dialogue sounds wrong and much of the chatter seems crap (major improvement on previous ArmA titles).
- Music occasionally stutters.
- Units run everywhere.
- Groups can't move and hold a formation to save themselves.
- Groups barrel into contact, no tactical movement, use of cover etc.
- Sometimes a waypoint wouldn't complete until you run ahead of your holding group.
- Missions seem like they were rushed, no real atmosphere or excitement whatsoever.
- Fog looks ABYSMAL and I hate it with a passion, when it appears I feel like I have cataracts.

I'm sure I could think of more but I'm going to take a break as I'm really disappointed, could just be me though.

Mag.

Tophatter

Tophatter

Newly Registered

• General User
  • 91 posts

I don't play vanilla, I use zooloo75, ww_aicover and TMR mods and I'm finding this adds so much more. Give them a try, I'm really enjoying the action and fire fights.

GunnerExurkun

GunnerExurkun

Newly Registered

• General User
  • 27 posts
For me I like it however the biggest disappointment for me is the AI chatter even though they are right beside you, it sometimes comes across as if they are speaking on the radio.
  • Magnet likes this

Magnet

Magnet

Forum Veteran

• General User
  • 1,530 posts

Well, I finished it.

I did enjoy it slightly more today but only due to the strategic map mission selection.

Still not very impressed, I feel as though the initial show cases are more immersive that the first part of the campaign. Just not very happy with it. I'm hoping they'll release the new dev tools soon so people can start developing more decent content.

Mag.

Gavin

Gavin

Forum Novice

• General User
  • 177 posts

Looking to get stuck into SP tonight!!

FuLlOn

FuLlOn

Newly Registered

• General User
  • 64 posts

Mag are you running JSRS? I am also getting voice problems where I have to stand side on to hear what is being said.
I do agree with the points above about the squad movements being awful but I have still been enjoying it nonetheless.

Valour

Valour

Officer Commanding

• OCB BHQ
  • 9,184 posts

• Captain
Tophatter, you should get the OCB mods and play on customs server. Until you have, as far as mods go, you ain't seen nothing until you have.

Magnet

Magnet

Forum Veteran

• General User
  • 1,530 posts

Mag are you running JSRS? I am also getting voice problems where I have to stand side on to hear what is being said.
I do agree with the points above about the squad movements being awful but I have still been enjoying it nonetheless.

Nope, just the turn 5 degrees either way to become completley deaf.

Mag.