Welcome to Online Combat Battalion - Australian Tactical Gaming Group
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

AAR: [LN]Lost Platoon

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Lyndiman

Lyndiman

• General User
  • 2,656 posts

Mission:

Recon platoon is to move to the objective location utlising IDF support from Fire Base Sparkles

AAR:

Mission start was delayed almost an hour due to server connectivity issues possibly relating to the server reboot or the mission itself.

Upon mission start a 5min pre planned fire mission commenced and the infantry moved out of the start positions to a 3 up platoon formation approx 5km west of the objective Novy Sobor.

1x enemy squad kia was found in break out point showing good effect from the pre planned fire mission.

OCB occupied positions around Pustoshka without being compromised. Hasty ambushes were effected on enemy patrolling teams.

Targets in open identified from the area around Pustoshka and engaged by IDF but due to map grid issues they were approximately 1-200 metres off target. Once a map marker system was setup, targets were effectively engaged and destroyed.

OCB began a platoon movement towards the objective across open and relatively featureless ground encountering multiple contacts with enemy vodniks and infantry.

IDF support was crucial in supporting the infantry and prepping areas ahead. It was a awesome sight to see whole hillsides get lit up, especially as the evening came.

Two fracticides occuried when fire was brought in on Stary Sobor. This was both a combination of fire being brought in too close and rounds falling off target. The attached image shows the location of the platoon exactly when the incident occurred. As you can see both Delta and Bravo have a death wish. Fraps shows the round landing 80 degrees from 1-A at a distance of 100m approx. So that's right on Delta killing 2. The next round falls 100m north of 1-A right on top of Charlie. Luckily no one was killed (apparently). The x markers show the requested fire mission.

The rest of the mission went in a similar fashion with night falling and the platoon taking advantage of the night fighting equipment available although long range optics were rendered useless. The final rush to the objective was made under the cover of willie pete.

Fixes / Issues:
  • Artillery script added to wrong truck - I did test it but missed the issue (the other truck is desert scheme)
  • Need to sort out ASR_Grids for accurate fire missions (wish I known that existed!)
  • ACRE took approximately 5mins to kick in properly which messed the comms plan up after we revised and then reverted
  • More experience in the field with artillery will get rounds on target faster
  • Artillery team needed NFE to use a map at night (which is weird because it has a pull out a light animation now).
  • Mission was too long
  • Too many enemies
  • Needed more Magnets
  • I would probably add a close firebase to make TOF shorter

Maintains:
  • Great leadership thanks guys
  • Great endurance to see it to the end in what was a difficult mission
  • Effective fire was brought to bear, I do believe the paladin is a winner unlike ACE artillery.

Stay tuned for the next mission which will consist of a Combat Outpost Tower Defense game with 155mm support. How many waves of infantry can you survive?

Attached Files

• Gelly likes this

Reddeth

Reddeth

Always Welcome

• General User
  • 677 posts

I think Charlie did sustain 1 x KIA re that stray round. We were in sporadic contact at the time so I wasn't sure if Avidius died from direct or indirect fire at the time.

Great Mission, nice and challenging

Magnet

Magnet

Forum Veteran

• General User
  • 1,530 posts

Y WUR DER NUT ENUF MAGNUTS!?

Mag.
  • Jazzakid likes this

Jazzakid

Jazzakid

Forum Regular

• General User
  • 692 posts

every arty shot was danger close

Ghost

Ghost

Forum Novice

• General User
  • 304 posts

we were firing on given grids

Jazzakid

Jazzakid

Forum Regular

• General User
  • 692 posts

still, we were just told to keep on trucking and im freaking out aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa gunna get PTSD pretty close, especially from those cluster rounds

Avidius

Avidius

Newly Registered

• General User
  • 53 posts

Firstly, huge apologies for talking in side-chat after death (I wrongly assumed only the dead would see the chat and tell me what happened).

I think the number of enemies was good, but maybe not peppered throughout the mission area as they were, although I realise that was also for paladin testing.

It lead to a continuous series of small engagements almost one after the other until the end, but each small battle didn't put huge strain on our forces as a whole. It did let us get some really good drills and formations going though.

In contrast, the previous mission at green mountain that saw a concentrated counterattack with INF + BTR's catch us with our pants down, was epic, and pushed us to breaking point.

The paladin's were awesome and very effective compared to standard arty.

As always great mission Lyndi.

Lyndiman

Lyndiman

• General User
  • 2,656 posts

we were firing on given grids

You were given grids? You were only supposed to use the map markers.

DC338

DC338

Forum Regular

• General User
  • 893 posts

From my understanding minimum safe distances for 155mm is about 500m. 155mm is a lot bigger shell than a 105mm. At 100m or less you are lucky everyone didn't get dead. Sounds like you had fun though and nice to see the "god of war" on the field.

Ghost

Ghost

Forum Novice

• General User
  • 304 posts

You were given grids? You were only supposed to use the map markers.

how else were we suppose to know where to fire??