Welcome to Online Combat Battalion - Australian Tactical Gaming Group
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Sierra Elements.

Special sierra Grassy Knoll Mark Wahlberg

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

RobertMuldoon

RobertMuldoon

Discharged - AWOL

• Guests
  • 21 posts

Sniper teams/Recon elements etiquette.

This is more to do with Patrol Ops, as Tacs have their own setup which I am still unaccustom to, and asked at the brave, stress-related-male-pattern-baldness suffering, guys who take charge.

Sierra units. What do you make of them, and how do you expect them to run?

I ask this because whenever I dabble in Sierra, I always feel like I'm going against the grain. I enjoy the Recon/precision aspect of it. I feel the recon aspect in particular is damn useful to ground elements, as it lacks the threat of being blindsided and shot down that Scout Choppers' live with (though sacrifices maneuverability for longevity);

But at the same time its hard to shake the feeling that everyone is looking at you like you're an MLG xxXX360NoScopeXXxx hero, like you aren't a team player. The intention always seems to be good, but whether that intention gets across or is recognised seems to be very hit/miss.

I know its Patrol Ops. Its the casual friday game. At the same time, my enjoyment comes from being useful and meaningfully contributing to the team and operation at large, regardless of the role I play.

So,

What do you expect of Sierra elements?

How do you want Sierra elements to behave?

What are the big no-no's for Sierra elements?
  • Xerxes likes this

Knight

Knight

Retired

• General User
  • 1,422 posts

Sniper and Spechual Forces groups in patrol ops always want to get the most kills.

An effective sniper team should be providing reports to ground commanders on enemy strength etc. If you do shoot you should prioritise High value kills. Emplaced gunners (AA/AT/MG) Manpad and MG gunners.
  • CptDavo likes this

ren111

ren111

Always Welcome

• General User
  • 452 posts

Coming from Infantry I can tell you this, There will always be discontent and malice towards Recon/Sniper Roles. ALWAYS. its not so much about hurt feelings as about getting the job done, providing intel on battle space movement is of primary concern and I am sure we all agree with you that the contribution that a Sierra Element can provide an infantry unit on enemy units is priceless.

To ask for a loc request from OA or Alpha unit command first, then be self sufficient, in Patrol Ops a Sierra element is a 2 man Team. i.e. Shooter/Spotter. This means both men dont carry a TAC-50. This means one man carry a protection kit for the shooter and provides range and targets for the shooter. the spotter also carries the primary 117F Radio to remain in comms with command or ground elements. you cant engage effectively if you both want to be .50 cal heroes it simply isn't what the unit is designed for.

Professionally, use comms when you have something valuable to contribute, not when you have to itch your pants and want to vent about it.

Hogging up Air Time, attempting to control the a battle space, trying to kill every unit on the ground.

A Sniper/Recon element is a support unit, not a primary assault or attack unit, there is a big misconception there. the better you understand the unit role the better you will be able to effect proper use of same. I can tell you from experience, Infantry Recon doesn't fire unless discovered/contacted or unless specifically tasked. So if the sierra unit is tasked to provide recon then the element should not expect to fire a round.

I understand that this may sound like a gripe/rant or a dressing down, but to those that understand what recon/sniper teams are used for they will agree with me
whole-heartedly.

So Robbo, if you can portray this role with the above in mind and impart this to any other players that you take along then we will see far less of the snickering about the unit as a support element.

I am glad you posted this though rob, nice one dude.

Cheers.

Ren.

Edited by ren111, 15 January 2013 - 11:00 AM.

• Highway, Krongas, EightySix and 2 others like this

EightySix

EightySix

Technical Officer

• OCB BHQ
  • 1,623 posts

• 1st Platoon - Active Member
Just to set the record straight, OCB Tactical will not have a sustained sierra element in its ranks. Ask any long serving members on TS and they will explain why.

That is not to say we will not offer training in it, it may come up in tactical and also lessons learned will certainly contribute to general field manoeuvres.

Scout and Recon units are used for observation purposes only. They are sent out ahead of major troop or vehicle formations and are equipped for light combat only and use long range radios to report field observations and assist in co-ordination of ground/aerial movements and target designations. If you have to engage hostiles, you are not doing your job.

Snipers are deployed in a similar measure with the added advantage of target elimination. These targets are assessed by value and threat to incoming friendly forces. Snipers are not a sustained firing force over an enemy AO and should prefer concealment over engagement. Snipers typically operate in pairs and co-ordinate with HQ when in the field. If your rate of fire is more than one round per 3 mins, you are doing your job wrong.

In essence, if you are sniper and you have high kills, you are a camper not a sniper.

The main thing is communication of enemy movement and co-ordination with HQ. I hope that helps.
  • Knight, CptDavo, Dash and 2 others like this

Valour

Valour

Officer Commanding

• OCB BHQ
  • 9,184 posts

• Captain

For them to perform recon tasks in line with commander's orders.

Stay silent unless requested to provide intel.

HALO'ing into the AO, killing everything and then moving on to the next. A good commander will be mindful of the Sierra team being in the AO and ensure that the team is tasked appropriately.

They should not engage unless ordered to do so, or they are in imminent danger of being fired upon.

Good example was the major assault done a couple of months ago, where we took our time, used armour, infantry, Sierra, fast air and mortar elements in, a combined arms attack on a fixed enemy position. Sierra was asked to provide intel on EN assets and numbers, and then asked to update any changes to COMD. This was done properly and the only time the sniper fired was when an EN rifle section was patrolling too close to the COMD element for comfort. The sniper warned of the approaching threat, was given clearance to fire and removed the threat.

This is the text book use of Sierra elements. There is a vid on YouTube of this engagement.

I might add whilst I'm on this, that a similar thing should be said of any specialized asset, be it Sierra, armour or CAS. Armour is tasked to engage, CAS should be called for to provide recon and only to engage targets at request or when directly threatened. Nothing more annoying than patrolling for 40 mins to reach an enemy town that is now nothing more than a shouldering hole because the A 10 pilot was there first.
  • Xerxes, Knight, mino and 3 others like this

Xerxes

Xerxes

Retired

• Banned
  • 1,306 posts

Awesome responses by everyone, not much more to add except if you are going to HALO in, don't land so damn close to the AO, some people do this all the time and end up getting spotted, killed and storing up the hornets nest ahead of the main forces assault.

From what I've seen you play the Sierra role sensibly anyway, so keep up the good work :D

Jazzakid

Jazzakid

Forum Regular

• General User
  • 692 posts

from last night's missions on the custom server. rob was a very valuable sierra element giving intel.

our squad was approaching a hill, sierra said that there was enemy just on the other side. because of his awesome detailed report (and quickly) i was able to change tactics and sustain few casualties.

Highway

Highway

Former Member

• General User
  • 607 posts

i know this is old post digging but i didn't want to start a new one but wanted to have a bit of a rant about wanna be pub snipers e.g slatosniper and brodie i think it was. anyhow i had halo'd in a scouting role and started marking possible and decent LZ's and then moved onto marking priority targets and then gave a brief head count and as soon as i had done that these pair were chopper inserted to the closest possible LZ that i had marked and ran to the top of a ridge and just started popping away with the .50's.

Now the mission was to capture a HVT but instead with in hearing 5-6 rounds come from there location and no return fire from the enemy the mission was over leaving me feel a bit "what did i waste my time for" feeling, after wasting 15-20min of getting from my DZ to a suitable hide. if these sorts of people just want to rambo threw it then why bother, shit X-ray didn't even make it back to base to pick up the rest of the troops.

Jazzakid

Jazzakid

Forum Regular

• General User
  • 692 posts

i've started to use UAV's more as a scouting role since they can easily change position and identify all targets.

but with callsigns, there probably needs to be a bit more discipline with the squads and assets, not to run any risks to compromise the mission.

Dash

Dash

Retired

• General User
  • 650 posts

@Highway: This is why the .50's have been removed from the VAS box

Highway

Highway

Former Member

• General User
  • 607 posts

@Highway: This is why the .50's have been removed from the VAS box

nope they were using the 107's, i don't think it would of made any difference to what weapon they used but just there manner, the .50's just made there shooting alot easier.

i think my expectation of a 2 man sniper team is whole lot different to theres.

Edited by Highway, 27 October 2013 - 05:09 AM.

• Hells likes this

Hells

Hells

Retired

• General User
  • 391 posts

A Snipers role

A sniper's primary function in modern warfare is to provide detailed reconnaissance from a concealed position and, If necessary, to reduce the enemy's fighting ability by neutralizing high value targets when required to do so.

From my understanding a sniper has a support role, concealment, stealth and where possible confuse the enemy.
  • Highway and Valour like this

Highway

Highway

Former Member

• General User
  • 607 posts

yeah not front line lawn mowers

Magnet

Magnet

Forum Veteran

• General User
  • 1,530 posts

Limit them to one mag... I like that idea.

Mag.

Guest_Afroditahen_*

Guest_Afroditahen_*
  • Guests
I need to contact with Moderator

Do know anybody him contacts?

:)

Valour

Valour

Officer Commanding

• OCB BHQ
  • 9,184 posts

• Captain
Bitte kontaktieren Sie mich über eine private Measage.

ren111

ren111

Always Welcome

• General User
  • 452 posts

Bitte kontaktieren Sie mich über eine private Measage.