Welcome to Online Combat Battalion - Australian Tactical Gaming Group
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

[LN] Dirty Ops

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

CptDavo

CptDavo

Former Member (Retired)

• General User
  • 2,478 posts

Members Present (2x Tier 1 Squads + Gun + HQ Elements) - 28 Members
  • [OCB]Lyndiman - [RFLCOY]
  • [OCB]John Rambo - [RFLCOY]
  • [OCB]Z.Page - [RFLCOY]
  • [OCB]Tophatter
  • [OCB]Guder - [RFLCOY]
  • [OCB]Azer - [RFLCOY]
  • [OCB]Shrapnel
  • [OCB]Knight - [RFLCOY]
  • [OCB]spartan_dbx - [RFLCOY]
  • [OCB]Skord - [R]
  • [OCB]Xerxes - [RFLCOY]
  • [OCB]SphinX
  • [OCB]chrisace2 - [RFLCOY]
  • [OCB]Cpt.Davo - [SPTCOY]
  • [OCB]DC - [RFLCOY]
  • [OCB]Jazzakid
  • [OCB]Mobius Derp
  • [OCB]TreeSmurf
  • [OCB]Jacky
  • [OCB]Winfieldgold
  • [OCB]ShaunBro - [RFLCOY]
  • [OCB]Highway - [RFLCOY]
  • [OCB]Level Cap - [R]
  • [OCB]Piro - [R]
  • [OCB]Winfieldgold
  • [OCB]Guder - [RFLCOY]
Key Roles:
Mission Maker: Lyndiman (also medic)
Mission Commander: CptDavo
Squad Leaders:
  • DC (Alpha)
  • Spartan (Bravo)
  • Sphinx (Gun Team)
First Objective: Ambushing the convoy.
Very textbook, done in a timely matter and was executed in an almost perfect case, bar the ieds. (We now know are dodgy in touching off)

Second Objective: Assault the camp and plant evidence and destroy assets.
Missions went with teams moving to the camp site using the forests/trees for concealment. Used squad leap frogging with the gun team to take turns engaging and suppressing enemy forces. However ammo conservation was an issue for some which may require some more weapon discipline as well as the occasional ND. Went reasonably well considering the amount of contacts spawning in around the teams. Took a few casualties which may have been avoided. Also noted some squads who broke their squad up into teams may have left them behind. (ie. DC's squad when knight's team was left well beyond the rest of the group out of radio range) This would have ended up badly if they came under heavy contact and I believe took a casaulty.

Key points to take from this objective:

SUSTAIN - Good squad movement (and leadership) generally in the field and contact drills. Good Ratel. (Generally impressed from where we've come.) Controlled aggression, always constantly on the move and on the attack. (Always one element on the move flanking etc.)
IMPROVE - Perhaps some more initiative from squad leaders (have an idea of what the commander intent is and act upon it.) Ammo conservation and weapon discipline. Don't get bogged down in getting kills, by moving the squad you may be in a better position to get kills easier saving ammo and time...Ensure you have all your squad with you. (If not they are in arms reach - via radio, rule of thumb is to have LOS on their pos)
Fix - Mission ran flawlessly. (Top stuff Lyndiman!)

Overall I'm impressed by the execution of this mission! Hope you guys had fun! (I know I did) Feel free to add more comments below that I may have missed or got wrong.

Also on a final note which I'm not very impressed about: A few people at the end during the debrief were throwing smoke grenades nearby dicking around. This is not on, and not what OCB represents, we are professional and that is why we have such a great name. Let this be a warning and is not to happen again, I know who you are and you know who you are! If it happens again this will be followed up.
  • mino likes this

Lyndiman

Lyndiman

• General User
  • 2,656 posts

Top stuff Davo. Was a hell of a gun fight like I said it would be.

Yes the logs don't lie when it comes to knowing who threw smoke etc at the debrief.

SphinX

SphinX

Former Member

• General User
  • 1,163 posts

I can honestly say I didn't throw smoke. I just did the typical OCB dance squad tradition for the win screen.

On another note, the firefight was good, but certain players need to learn how to conserve the MG ammunition...

mino

mino

Former Member

• General User
  • 118 posts

Nice write up Davo! Sad I missed it :(

Highway

Highway

Former Member

• General User
  • 607 posts

yes admittedly i was going threw the ammo but some one said i picked up 40+ kills, rpk even on the bipod bounces around

SphinX

SphinX

Former Member

• General User
  • 1,163 posts

Oh no, you were fine Highway.
  • Knight likes this

Piro

Piro

Forum Regular

• General User
  • 633 posts

Had a lot of fun with this one. Top stuff Lyndi

DC338

DC338

Forum Regular

• General User
  • 893 posts

The mission from Alpha team leader perspective ran well until the latter parts of the assault on Camp.

The Ambush approach and setup went well with the exception of the IED detonations. I think Special forces would use satchel charges as opposed to IEDs but nice to play with. Fire discipline was good.

The Second contact before we crossed the road was good initially with good calls and fire. I couldn't get eyes on till late in the engagement which hampered my ability to move the teams to a better position as we were in a depression. I should've moved to get them in a better position.

The approach to the camp went well with good input from Fireteam leaders. We lost Guder 1-1A to real life and the after the other section engaged we moved to the north east where I deployed the RPK which with optics was our best long range weapon where they proceeded to engage long range targets with good effect and with good fire discipline. Knight did a great job directing the fire with Binoculars. The rest of the squad proceeded a couple of hundred meters around the ridge. I let the 1-1A group get a little far away for a time whilst thinking the other squads were closer to rejoining than they were. My mistake. 1-1A was recalled after a delay and engaged units that were approaching the other squads unseen.

With all units were reunited we shifted around to the right flank of the other squads and again engaged long range targets, again Knights fireteam being deployed to good effect. When the squad was directed to advance to the camp is when my problems began.

I decided to leave Knights Fireteam in situ to provide overwatch whilst I moved forward with Jazza, Mobius and Rambo as they were short Guder and to provide two sets of battle buddies. We moved forward with good effect before getting bogged down in very close quarters battle. The guys I was with dealt these threats really really well. I lost my situational awareness especially in regards to Knights team as we were heavily engaged. I neglected to get my team reunited as I thought with the Highway providing very effective Long-range fire that should remain. We did however get too far away without letting 0-A what my intent was, which probably got them into the hurt locker. I also didn't give them clear or any instructions on when to rejoin. Which was my mistake. Once rejoined we redeployed well and got to the camp. The return to base ran smoothly, though as always when you know you are heading to mission end tactical awareness seems to suffer as especially with the amount of running.

I would like to commend the guys in my squad they did as asked and did it well with guys stepping up when required. Fireteam leads did good work. I think the squad as a whole exercised good fire discipline and that is a credit to them. Highway did burn through a lot of ammo but was all well controlled and at valid targets.

I learned some valuable lessons. From not letting my fireteams get too far away from each other, to the problems of maintaining awareness when I pushed forward with the fireteam that was short handed and being so involved on the trigger that comms suffers and the result that the squad suffered some casualties.

I did also note that some guys changed weapons and dumped their issued weapons which I don't think the army would be too happy with.

Lyndi great mission.

Not sure where the enemies were spawning from but perhaps they did seem to spawn around the camp as opposed to them moving to camp from a small distance away. Maybe that is the only crit.

Knight

Knight

Retired

• General User
  • 1,422 posts

The enemy units seemed to either keep spawning in the same location and funnelling into Highways killzone, or that was the path every enemy AI wanted to take for the better part of ten minutes.

I ended up actually giving Jazza my AK with Vog25 (grenade launcher) and took his effeminite AKSU, I was barely using the rifle anyway, and it seemed like short changing the unit if i kept hold of it.

One technical thing after a death, i got stuck on a respawn screen with no option to actually respawn anywhere (base, rv, or rally) ended up simply dropping out at the end (had 3 deaths left. Didn't want to see what would happen if I used them all respawning)

Lyndiman

Lyndiman

• General User
  • 2,656 posts

Great write ups guys.

That's odd knight. Respawn should have worked. The counter does nothing.

Also, i dont think we saw any new enemies spawning in after the ambush was complete. the patrols etc were around the camp simulating security on alert. So if you had them on top of you they didn't spawn in there.

We had to use ieds so it looked like an insurgent attack. really we only needed the mg team. The rest was a bit of fun.

Finally if you need to switch weapon put your one on your back.

Next up is cache hunting with friendly militia unless gelly is back.

BigBlack

BigBlack

Former Member

• General User
  • 479 posts
Sound like a good TAC guys, keen to participate soon.

BB

John Rambo

John Rambo

Retired

• General User
  • 415 posts

I did also note that some guys changed weapons and dumped their issued weapons which I don't think the army would be too happy with.

Yeah I'll put my hand up and admit it was me, although I seemed to be having issues with my gun at the time of the tac(problem is fixed now turned out to be six updater compatibility with the server version.)

Great tac, shout out to DC, Knight and Guders who did a great job running our squad/Fire teams.

Tophatter

Tophatter

Newly Registered

• General User
  • 91 posts

Great feedback!

And thanks all in involved in planning and execution.

I really enjoyed the fire fight too! A great top shelf OCB TAC i can add to my log book.
In the valley section en route to the camp following the ambush the enemy's PKM fire was pretty solid! Their 7.62mm was arcing up like green hornets and landing in and around our position.

I for one only had an AKSU74 carbine which wasn't too effective in engaging targets at the initial contact due to range, A few of us mostly had 5.54 x 39mm and I agree we perhaps could have closed in and engaged within effective weapon range?

In my own observations i believe thats where most of our squads ammo was consumed trying to pick off targets on the other side of the valley. They had 7.62 PKM and FAL along with .303 which wasn't a problem for them. With that being said we did our best exchanging mags from our kit within the squad. Every dead tango we passed we scavenged mags.

I was in the RPG element. I think RPG teams learned pretty quickly to ensure to check back blast before engaging as it got crowded in certain places of cover with all the action going on. There was i believe one case where a squad member walked behind and may have copped it. But that could be also due to communication?

There was also point where Gudi and I were separated from our element in the valley floor as we were temporarily suppressed behind a boulder - that was pretty hairy (but loads of fun!) but we rejoined the squad on the assault to the camp.

It was great to see all the different elements supporting each other too and thanks for great leadership of all elements too !

Tops

Xerxes

Xerxes

Retired

• Banned
  • 1,306 posts

Great mission, I had a blast.

I must admit, though, I'm responsible for the silliness at the end of the mission :blushing: - as we arrived at the base, i popped a white smoke, stupid move on my part. Honestly don't know what i was thinking :unsure:. Unfortunately, this probably opened the door for whoever dropped the second smoke, as I'd lowered the standard for everyone else. Truly sorry guys, won't happen again.

Lyndiman

Lyndiman

• General User
  • 2,656 posts

No probs Xerxes.

I've finished drafting up Cache Hunters. It sure will be fun embedding the militia with the infantry. I'm not sure we'll have enough .50 ammo to make it round the patrol!