Welcome to Online Combat Battalion - Australian Tactical Gaming Group
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Operation Jeronimo debrief

• This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

Tromac

Tromac

Forum Veteran

• General User
  • 3,502 posts

From the pilot perspective the exercise went well. Davo and I did a trial run over the DZ first and that was a fantastic run with both aircraft in good formation, same speed and altitude. On the actual drop I was watching the guys jump and not focusing on my role so I was dropping altitude a little but otherwise no major errors.

I think the area that requires additional work is the briefing of the troops from the pilot and the communications during flight. Overall I enjoyed being able to drop two sticks from two separate aircraft and I hope all who attended got something from the exercise. Happy to run this more as we need the practise.

Posted Image

Valour

Valour

Officer Commanding

• OCB BHQ
  • 9,182 posts

• Captain
Overall went well.

The usual MOD issues (ACRE again) and drop outs/disconnects really wasted a lot of time in the start. Some one was running SLX mod - if you run SLX you are quite possibly going to crash the server and screw around with other people getting in. All to be placed on notice now - if you have it, DELETE IT. It is NOT to be used on our servers!

Start brieing could have been a little more detailed, but we had enough info to know what was going on.

Comms did have some issues, as often people did not appear to be able to hear each other. Game sound up too high maybe?

After the drop there was a lot of fucking around and little coordination, which I thought wasted more time. Squad leaders didn't seem to do much talking once we first hit the deck.

Tip for leaders: Once we were on the deck we were spread over a few hundred metres - DIRECT CHAT isn't going to be heard by your squad. Use the radio! I seemed to be at the back of the pack once on the ground. I thought there were others behind me. The majority of the squad was to my front, yet nothing on comms. When I reached Alpha's LOC, instead of all round defence, I saw a group fist pumping the Civvie. Funny, but.... I should have seen a cleaner picture.

I think we all did get a bit out of it, and I think we all enjoyed it. Shame we had technical issues with comms and connections.

Thanks to Tromac for setting up and running of the training.
  • Tromac likes this

Gelly

Gelly

Forum Veteran

• General User
  • 1,368 posts

I know i had a good time running the newbies through a jump and mock assaults. On jump run we had a guy jump on red light which didnt see him jump too far from the DZ, that definitely did not out-do my parajump as when i exited i was in freefall for about 2 seconds in a semi blackout animation, then spawned back into the cargohold of the C130, then reattempted to jump only this time as i plummeted to earth from about 50 meters height, I had no parachute. Watch a glitch, no ideas on that one.

It really took me some time to rejoin the game and Alpha squad no thanks to SLX mod being run by somebody. When I arrived back in the field, picked up the boys and commenced stack ups on the 3 compounds using a different entry tactic each time , silent, explosive and smoke. After that we concentrated on HELO/LZ procedure following Bravo's pickup.

I know the newbies liked it by their own admission.
  • Tromac likes this

Highway

Highway

Former Member

• General User
  • 607 posts

yeah it was good, gelly everything was well explained on execution and purpose. looking forward to some more

Tromac

Tromac

Forum Veteran

• General User
  • 3,502 posts

Watching the video Wastey took I am impressed with the flying, Davo did a great job at all times! We need to work on keeping the heli's together but that will come with practise. Definitely want to run these training ops again soon, the more we do it the better we get. We can also start to implement different deployments such as fast roping, heli inserts, etc.

SphinX

SphinX

Former Member

• General User
  • 1,163 posts

Chopper navigation / route planning is something that I believe needs to be covered at some stage.
  • Tromac likes this

Valour

Valour

Officer Commanding

• OCB BHQ
  • 9,182 posts

• Captain
I agree the flying was great (let's not mention the practice run).

It was a good session.

I'd like to get some practice flying those hercs, they are a bitch to land

FEAR

FEAR

OCB Member

• OCB Member
  • 927 posts

• Corporal
I must say it was a good night and I agree with val, I really need some practice with the ACRE mod, I know there is a way you can put each radio in your ear but I could not work it out. also when we hit the ground I marked on map a location to RV and called it over the radio but I think no one heard. direct chat seemed to not have enough distance but the thing is I could hear everyone fine probably a bit loud. formations from bravo was sloppy at one point one of the boys was just walking up with gun lowered I know the targets were not live but thats not the point is it.

The flying looked sweet and I would love to run the traing again sometime.

wrap up - ACRE training for me is a must ie correct use eg how do you call in extraction on LZ with smoke (gelly sounded sweet at the end there)
- tomfoolery, there is a time and place in the field is not one it puts people off... well it puts me off
- flying was sweet and it was enjoyable to see

Magnet

Magnet

Forum Veteran

• General User
  • 1,530 posts

That was me with the gun lowered, and also lagging behind the formation.

As a result, some of the film I have is pretty sweet. Just cutting it together now.

Mag.

Lyndiman

Lyndiman

• General User
  • 2,656 posts

As above, here's some things I noticed during the training and on the servers, not sure if everyone will agree with me.
  • After you have finished with your parachute pack it away, you can make a dress out of it later if you want
  • SUVs burst into flames when running into discarded parachutes
  • When helo extracting don't all sit there you watching the chopper land. You are supposed to be looking the other way providing security. BF3 players will sneak up and steal your dog tags
  • Don't mention the colour of the smoke to the pilot. Just confirm it.
  • Don't point your gun at people. Lots of people forgetting to press CTRLx2 including myself. I've bound it to just a single CTRL press to lower weapon. Or just point it to the side.
  • Use the safety (shift + ~) until you are in the AO and cleared to shoot at things
  • Make sure you have permission to fire before firing
  • Say frag out when throwing a grenade
  • Say reloading when reloading
  • Give people notice of your intentions. If you want people to move tell them to prepare first so they can reload etc.
  • Reload before breaching a compound or building (yes my videos have lots of 'clicks' in them) :rolleyes:
  • Enter a chopper from its nose so the pilot can see you
  • Dont be afraid to withdraw and flank if you have a contact. It's not losing or giving up.

• FEAR and Gelly like this

Tromac

Tromac

Forum Veteran

• General User
  • 3,502 posts

Great posts from all. Fear don't be hard on Magnet as I'd asked him to record and that is the best way to do so, should have let you know so that is my bad.

In regards to mucking around though I completely agree, tac missions and training is not the place for this. When we were grouping everyone together I was waiting for Gelly to come back in and his squad were all stuffing around, standing in a tight circle around me, doing stupid hand signals, etc. There is a time and place and that is not the place, I don't have a real sense of humour when it comes to training or tacs, we train like we mean it. My comment to them was "I see a lot of recruits who want to stay recruit for a long time".

Guest_Wastelander_*

Guest_Wastelander_*
  • Guests

SphinX

SphinX

Former Member

• General User
  • 1,163 posts

Shouldn't a chopper be approached from either the left or right? As the rotor dips lower at the front?

Tromac

Tromac

Forum Veteran

• General User
  • 3,502 posts

Shouldn't a chopper be approached from either the left or right? As the rotor dips lower at the front?

Nope always should approach from the front even if it's an angled approach.

SphinX

SphinX

Former Member

• General User
  • 1,163 posts

Must just be an American thing then, all their soldiers are taught to approach from the sides.

Damn doco shows ruining my brain.

Valour

Valour

Officer Commanding

• OCB BHQ
  • 9,182 posts

• Captain
The idea behind approaching from the front is so that the pilot can see you. He is the one who has the cyclic control in his hands and controls the tilt of the blades.

Approach, give the pilot the thumbs up, and ensure he has given you a thumbs up in return, then you know he's seen you and you are right to approach. He'll be much more aware of keeping that cyclic nice and steady.

Blades are lower at the front or slightly lower tilted down than running flat (I believe this is for stability).

Blades can also be a little lower at the sides at times depending on the lay of the land. Where the ground is higher next to the helo, the blades will naturally dip in that direction due to the air flow, something pilots are aware of so they compensate, a reason they will not really land a chopper on anything other than a flat area unless they have no option.

The loadmaster then controls the boarding of the aircraft, and after coming in on an angle via the front the loadie will motion for you to move to the door and get in.

Yanks probably have the loadie tell the pilot that the troops are coming in from the sides so the pilot doesn't have to look, I don't know.

Highway

Highway

Former Member

• General User
  • 607 posts

Great posts from all. Fear don't be hard on Magnet as I'd asked him to record and that is the best way to do so, should have let you know so that is my bad.

In regards to mucking around though I completely agree, tac missions and training is not the place for this. When we were grouping everyone together I was waiting for Gelly to come back in and his squad were all stuffing around, standing in a tight circle around me, doing stupid hand signals, etc. There is a time and place and that is not the place, I don't have a real sense of humour when it comes to training or tacs, we train like we mean it. My comment to them was "I see a lot of recruits who want to stay recruit for a long time".

I was the only one prone covering a direction with lmg

Valour

Valour

Officer Commanding

• OCB BHQ
  • 9,182 posts

• Captain
I did that too in Bravo Squad.

:thumbsup:

Ex_Inferus

Ex_Inferus

Forum Novice

• General User
  • 483 posts

I like a lot of Lyndimans points. I'd like to have an input, but due to SLX I missed my plane. :verymad:

Although in saying that, whilst I was not in game I could hear everybody on TS, I'd have to agree with the posts about stuff arsing around. Time and place guys, TAC's and Training are neither. Yes, it is a game, but I'd put money on the fact that everybody here would have put on their application something along the lines of "Love the way OCB operate" or "Want to play the way it's meant". Screwing around in TAC's and Training is not, nor has it ever been, the way OCB operate.

I will say though, I was impressed with the turn out, great to see new recruits and old hands alike committing to training. :thumbsup:
  • Valour likes this

FEAR

FEAR

OCB Member

• OCB Member
  • 927 posts

• Corporal
Nice post lyndi, thats cool tro Mag did a good job, but I will be hard on me self...I think I scored a 3 out of 10 just a bit out of touch with some of the mods and me comms a shit at best. :rolleyes: