Welcome to Online Combat Battalion - Australian Tactical Gaming Group
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Overlay

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Krongas

Krongas

Former Member

• General User
  • 482 posts

Hello all

Reading your AAR makes fun reading for me. I often jump on in my spare time and try and gleam some lesson learnt as well as identify areas to try and improve for myself, when I eventually get back to Australia. Currently I have been very impressed with the standard of articulating what actually happened in the Patrol.

I was thinking for a means that the AAR maybe enhanced. The most obvious would be the inclusion of maps with an overlay on it so I can actually get into the head of you trigger puller and see why you decided to use a particular route or where you employed a brick in DFSW role in an SBF. This will also enable me to better battle track your Narration's. I'm very appreciative of those of you who actually spend the time to write up an AAR and know it is enjoyed by all that read them.

Despite the incredible excellent details you guys have been giving in you AAR. I have to bring up one minor point and that is the reminder of the purpose of the AAR. Its purpose is to improve and identify area's that need to be fixed and or adjusted. I believe that we are all mature enough to receive criticism to improve our combat efficiency. To achieve that the following points should be discussed on conclusion of each OP to enable us to walk away after each OP with clearly defined left and right of arc of what needs to be Improved, Fixed and Sustained.
Improve:
Fix:
Sustain:
The AAR tool is here to educate everyone so dont be afraid to give your critical feedback and let people know what they could have done better. But remember it is not to be used as a means to sledge someone.

Valour

Valour

Officer Commanding

• OCB BHQ
  • 9,184 posts

• Captain
Great pointers there Sir.

I do believe we did have that improve, sustain, fix thing in there for a bit. Let's ensure we take it up again as part of the improvement process guys.

GooseNeck

GooseNeck

OCB Member

• OCB 1st Platoon
  • 249 posts

• Corporal
  • 1st Platoon - Active Member
But Krongas I have a working dunny... and besides that you're right and I've been reading far too much Andy McNabb for my own good which is why the storyline approach. I will sustain and fix the issue next post and in case 1 coffee isn't enough ( never is for myself ) I have approached others to organise field reports from thier perspectives where possible. I would also take some photos but my overlay won't print screen and paste in to paint. Thanks for the advise. Taken! actioned!

Goose OuT!

Xerxes

Xerxes

Retired

• Banned
  • 1,306 posts

thanks for the perspective krongas! sorry i didn't get a chance to help you out with that last AAR goose, next time it would be sweet to collaborate on one...have screen shots, diagrams, maps ect ect. can't wait for the next tac to give this stuff a shot! i might even start taking notes during game to refer back to...i kind of already do this to keep track of fireteams and command ect...but writing down mine and the commanders intent while it's fresh in my head could help.

FEAR

FEAR

OCB Member

• OCB Member
  • 927 posts

• Corporal
Hey Goose I said you should use the Improve, Fix, Sustain approach :lol:

Gelly

Gelly

Forum Veteran

• General User
  • 1,368 posts

Yep , fellas, good advice. Also, we were/have been doing this a while ago,(see post)=(viewtopic.php?f=69&t=1091&hilit=aar) but we've been a bit slack rather than seeking improvements.

Ill put up a template or something of the like, so its a streamlined activity following the missions. This will be a job for the commanders who took part in the particular mission.

Gelly

Gelly

Forum Veteran

• General User
  • 1,368 posts

Also, I'll put up/implement a warning order format for use somehow on the homepage, too add to the professional look and actually give fair warning and preparation time for upcoming activities.

GooseNeck

GooseNeck

OCB Member

• OCB 1st Platoon
  • 249 posts

• Corporal
  • 1st Platoon - Active Member
Hands up for Gooses story mode version ( ooh ooh )! FINE!